Roast or smoke a 12 pounder this Sunday

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I'm not hosting turkey day this year and I've had a 12 pounder in the freezer, so It is getting cooked for Sunday dinner.

I'm trying to decide if I should roast it, or smoke it.

Spatchcock? Quarter? or keep whole?

WSK or the BGE ?

I'm Open to suggestions, this is in the early stage of my planning, and I think the only thing I've settled on is the wine.

It's defrosting in the fridge and I'll do an overnight dry brine starting tomorrow afternoon so I have a little time to read some ideas and make a plan.

About thirty years ago my Dad had an extra turkey that he had gotten from work I think. Well, he decided that he was going to cook it on his Weber kettle. I tried some of it and it was certainly edible. My mom and dad enjoyed it a lot more than I did however, although he never did it again. I personally just didn't enjoy the smoke infused flavor of turkey from the grill. I guess I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to turkey. That being said, try it on the grill.

I’ve done a lot of turkeys basic indirect method on the kettle, literally hundreds! That might be part of the reason I don’t much give a hoot for turkey anymore! They have all been very well received, with generally not a shred of meat left on the carcasses unless they were headed for a soup pot.
My vote is try it straight, the next one spin, the one after that spatchcock then, YOU decide which way you like it.🤠

I cut it up, wet brine overnight, herb rub with EVOO the next day and then grill indirectly after first searing the skin so it starts to render. This delivers a nice crisped skin and super moist bird, every time. And it’s easy to carve, cut up and serve this way.

From 2020 turkey cook

1667676298779.jpeg

Last edited:
My vote is rotisserie, but other than that, spatchcock. My wife is a traditionalist, like Steve, and loves the smell of turkey cooking in the oven, so we are going to do ours indoors this year.
If it was for Thanksgiving it would be oven roasted for sure. I'm a traditionalist for that day 100%.

I cut it up, wet brine overnight, herb run with EVOO the next day and then grill indirectly after first searing the skin so it starts to render. This delivers a nice crisped skin and super moist bird, every time. And it’s easy to carve, cut up and serve this way.

From 2020 turkey cook

View attachment 62138
I have to screenshot these posts because I’ll never find them if I need them.

Brilliant

I cut it up, wet brine overnight, herb run with EVOO the next day and then grill indirectly after first searing the skin so it starts to render. This delivers a nice crisped skin and super moist bird, every time. And it’s easy to carve, cut up and serve this way.

From 2020 turkey cook

View attachment 62138
I saw that last night and that's my current plan.

Probably on the E6.

Last edited:
This talk about spinning is reminding me of your garage door, lol. This is my current plan for Thanksgiving this year:

Brine with this (I've used this for the past two years):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2ZXPEM/?tag=tvwb-20
1667681789539.png

Spatchcock with these cutters:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGG7ZQ/?tag=tvwb-20
1667684108660.png
I purchased them six months ago and used them on two or three chickens with excellent results; I'm looking forward to the experience of using them on a turkey since my previous attempts with other cutters on turkeys were dismal (possibly because I'm a weakling).

And most likely do a high heat cook on the SmokeFire.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Note to self... Make the brine earlier so it's chilled.

Decided to wet brine with the rodelle.

Last edited:

Back