Rivet Removal on a WSM Pre-2009

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
What is the best way to remove the Rivits holding the Four(4) Vent Dampers on my WSM "Classic" that I bought new in the year 2008 as I want to replace them with new Vent Dampers??

The problem with drilling out rivets is that they tend to spin. I think I would try using a small grindstone in a drill (or a Dremel tool) , and grind off the rivet from the inside, being careful not to damage the porcelain. Or, if you can press the head of the rivet against a wood block (or something similar) hard enough to keep it from spinning, you may be able to drill them out.

not to hijack the thread but I used a metal spike and ballpeen hammer on the rivets to tighten my vents, however it also caused the vent to flare out away from the body of the cooker a little bit....I may replace mine with new ones and bolt-nut

Last time I did this on a 14" WSM, I did what Larry suggests. I used a Dremel tool to grind off the rivets from the inside until I could push them out. I nicked the porcelain, but nothing I couldn't live with.

IMG_2253_Moment.jpg

IMG_2254.JPG

In the past, I drilled them out but did have the problem of them spinning around. I tried pushing them against a block of wood which helped...sometimes.

little-red-bullet-project-2.jpg

Aluminum rivets are so much easier to drill out compared to mild steel ones like on the WSM.

The problem with drilling out rivets is that they tend to spin. I think I would try using a small grindstone in a drill (or a Dremel tool) , a
I have a "SKILL" Power Drill but no Dremel. Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "Small Grindstone" attachment to a Power Drill??

In
Harbor Freight has one (including 80 piece set) for $9.99. Look for "rotary tool".

I don't know the "best" light duty but this is likely the least costly.

here is a coupon that drops the price to $6.99

Coupon 67262888. Exp: 03/03/22 Use In-Store or Online.

Nope but I guess you can order online.
I would think the shipping cost would just about kill a $6.99 purchase. I have a Dremel and a couple of Wen tools...the Dremel has a lot of accessories like a plunge router base and drill press base and because of the shape not many of them will work with other brands, but if all you are looking for is a hand-held tool it may not be important. I do like the flex shaft that came with the Wen and use it quite a bit...one of my Wen tools is permanently mounted on my workbench with the flex shaft attached. It would be ideal for something like grinding off a rivet. Are you limited to what you can buy online?

Fellow Forum Members: Which Dremel Model do you recommend for very light use?

I'd go with the 4000 or 3000 if you want a little smaller unit. There's lots of different kits and bit assortments.

Look for bits under the Grinding &. Sharpening category of course.

Since you have a drill I would at least try that first.
If the rivet spins use a needle nose pliers/vice grips /or whatever, on the side you can grab a hold on.

Back