Rib Rack

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I notice in the best ribs in the universe article that the rack seems to hold 6 half racks of ribs. Can anyone tell me where to find this rack? I have only been able to find racks that hold 4 halves.

Phil

Not sure I would even try. You may have difficulty getting the proper heat to even 4 halfs.

Phil,

I could be mistaken, but I think Chris said that was the older style Weber rib rack, that they no longer make. If you can find the Char-Broil rib rack, it holds 4 halfs, and on each end there are two pointed stakes that you can impale another half on so it holds six. I bought mine at Home Depot.

Phil,

FYI, I have found after fooling with the rib rack for about two years, I have found that rolling the ribs works much better.

Just my $.02.

Pat

I have the Char-Broil rack as well, but the wirework on it is such a pain to clean-- the wires being thin, more wire is used to make it rigid-- too many intersecting welds to get the crud out of. I usually end up just rolling them, too.

All rib racks are a pain to clean. I just thought I would let him know about the Char-Broil. I spray mine with cooking spray before use, rinse in extremely hot water after, hit it with greased lightning, hot water again, it comes pretty clean.

All racks period are a pain in the arse to clean.

I have a Char-Broil rack as well and I spray mine with cooking spray, wash it down with a garden hose and throw it in the dishwasher. It comes out looking brand new.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Pat is right. All you do is coil the rack until the 2 ends overlap about 1 inch and then stick a wooden skewer through the ovelap and through the other side to add stability, break off the excess skewer. Now you can stack them and get 14 full size racks in one cook. 4 racks coiled and three on top, then same for the other grill. I did not invent this, some post way back talked about the night of 100 racks or something. Also, no cleaning and results are perfect and your racks stay full size... you may have to smoke them for 7 hours, but if you're going to do a cook, may as well maximize. Racks are bad !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Currie:
[qb] ... stack them and get 14 full size racks in one cook. 4 racks coiled and three on top, then same for the other grill.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Are we talking baby backs, or really small spares? I can maybe see 7 stacked that way on top, but with 7.5 inches clearance between the grates, it seems they'd have to be some small or trimmed pretty narrow.

kloserackonwsm.JPG

This is the Dave Klose rib rack made from 3/16" stainless steel. www.bbqpits.com It has 5 slots I have overloadded it with the 6th on the front of the rack and 7th and 8th flat on top. And that was just on the top rack /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This is for cooking a lot of ribs not how to win a competition /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Enjoy

Doug,

They are baby backs, I should have specified.

Konrad,

Nice rib rack, I'm impressed ! The only potential problem I see is that the ends go beyond the water pan, don't they burn ?

Marc

Thanks for the info but I have one more question about cooking on both levels. Now I flip my ribs. When I cook on both levels, how do I go about flipping the bottom ones or do I need to? Should I expect any difference in temp and which will be done first?

Phil

As long as they're no wider than 7 inches, you can use a hefty set of BBQ tongs to flip them thru the door. You can also grab the grate with the tongs and spin it around bit-by-bit to get to what's on the back side. Or just remove the lid and set aside the top rack, flip your stuff on the bottom grate, but just be quick (and safe) about it. You could take the same opportunity to rotate the top rack ribs to the bottom and vice versa, evening out the cook. (Conventional wisdom would suggest that the bottom grate temp is 5-10* cooler than the top, so, in theory, the same size meat on the top grate would cook faster than that on the bottom.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back