Reverse Seared + Smoked Strip Steaks on WSM 14

KEhrl

TVWBB Member
Recently I've been experimenting with the reverse sear for steaks, going low and slow in the oven at around 250, then searing in a cast iron pan. I've never tried this method with my smoker but figured a little bit of smoke may give the steaks a "Wood Grilled" Taste.

I was cooking for a small family get together this past Saturday and had picked up two packs of steaks from Costco. Costco steaks are great as they are usually thick cut, making them a great candidate for the reverse sear. Each of these steaks weighed between 1.1 and 1.2 lbs. I seasoned them with a "Steak" mix, which was a grinder which had salt, pepper, and garlic among other seasonings.

IMG_9086.jpg IMG_9087.jpg

On my WSM 14 I was able to fit 4 steaks on each rack. Since I was cooking almost 10 lbs of meat I didn't think water in the pan would be necessary as the meat would absorb much of the heat itself. I fired up the smoker with the minion method, using some leftover coals from a previous cook and a camper chimney of fresh KBB. I used a handful of Pecan Wood "Chips," which were really just the small broken off bits at the bottom of the Weber wood bag, to thrown on top. I monitored temps with my Thermoworks Smoke thermometer, sticking a meat probe in a steak on each rack, and monitoring air temp. Temps hovered around 225 for the duration of the cook. After 40 minutes both meat thermometers registered 107 degrees, so I checked all the steaks and they were all around 110 degrees. I pulled them at this point, loosely covered them with some foil and let them rest for 30 minutes. Not the most appetizing sight, but they smelled great!

IMG_9088.jpg IMG_9092.jpg

After letting the steaks rest, I fired up the gasser and let it heat up for 10 minutes, all burners on full blast. These got about 5 minutes per side until they registered ~130 degrees on my instant thermometer.

IMG_9093.jpg IMG_9094.jpg

I let them rest 10 minutes more before slicing. All the steaks turned out a nice medium with edge to edge pink! There was a great smoke flavor, but not overpowering. Even my fiance who is "smoke sensitive" thought it was a tasteful amount.

IMG_9095.jpg IMG_9096.jpg

I will definitely be doing steaks again this way, my family raved about them. Although it took a little more time than a traditional sear method, the results were worth the extra effort!

Cheers,
Kyle

The only time I reverse sear is on my WSM -- usually tri-tip or chicken.

Doing the sear on the gasser certainly works. But using the WSM for the sear is better. And easy since you've already got a charcoal fire going.

After smoking, remove the WSM middle section from the base. Then put the cooking grate right down on the ring for a hot charcoal sear.

The only time I reverse sear is on my WSM -- usually tri-tip or chicken.

Doing the sear on the gasser certainly works. But using the WSM for the sear is better. And easy since you've already got a charcoal fire going.

After smoking, remove the WSM middle section from the base. Then put the cooking grate right down on the ring for a hot charcoal sear.

Will have to try this next time. Tri tip is on my shortlist of things to smoke/grill, will definetely use the direct coals!

Those look awesome, Kyle. The only tip I'll offer is to blot the water off the steaks when they come out of the WSM and give them a light coat of oil before searing. The crust is crustier that way. Damn -- now I'm hungry! -- Jeff

Those look awesome, Kyle. The only tip I'll offer is to blot the water off the steaks when they come out of the WSM and give them a light coat of oil before searing. The crust is crustier that way. Damn -- now I'm hungry! -- Jeff

That’s a great idea! Canola oil? Olive oil probably has too low a smoke point I figure.

Those look fantastic .............. I was " smoking " steaks on the Kettle, then going to a cast iron griddle on the gasser for the sear. I liked how I got an ' all over " sear. But I've since gone to lump/wood chunks on the Kettle for the sear.

That’s a great idea! Canola oil? Olive oil probably has too low a smoke point I figure.

Yup, canola. I "smoke" steaks in a kettle at around 250° with some post oak. It they are real thick (2"+), it takes around 45 minutes to get to 110. I let them rest while I build up a hellfire for searing. The "wood-grilled" flavor definitely comes through, doesn't it? One other tip I got was to rotate ( not flip) the steaks almost constantly as you sear for a minute or two on each side. You give up the grill marks, but you get more crust. (Now I'm really hungry!). -Jeff

Looks great to me, I cheat and use the pellet smoker when I am being lazy , then pull them off slide the plate open to let the flames roll and throw them back on for a few minutes.

Yup, canola. I "smoke" steaks in a kettle at around 250° with some post oak. It they are real thick (2"+), it takes around 45 minutes to get to 110. I let them rest while I build up a hellfire for searing. The "wood-grilled" flavor definitely comes through, doesn't it? One other tip I got was to rotate ( not flip) the steaks almost constantly as you sear for a minute or two on each side. You give up the grill marks, but you get more crust. (Now I'm really hungry!). -Jeff
Constant flipping works quite well for me. I read somewhere that this stops a lot of the heat from reaching the interior when you flip. 1 minute directly over the coals, flip, and repeat a couple of times. I don't care about grill marks and prefer a nice crust over the whole surface.

Back