Restoring Genesis E310 for Father's Day?

Adrian-Intfxdx

Newbie Alert!

So my wife has been telling me to get me a new grill for Father's Day this year. I figured I would get me a Spirit II e310 or the like. I've been grilling with an old Q (with amazing results for its size) for years. Anyhow, I found this 2013 Genesis E310 for $50, which to me is in great condition: no rust in the cabinet; FBs are gone, but that's expected; a tiny bit of rust in the drip tray; heat deflectors 40% life; and cast iron grates in pretty rough shape. I know, I know... seeing the kind of work y'all put on your Webers the word restoring is a stretch, but this is my first do-anything-to-it Weber, so i need a little help along the way. I read a couple of hundred threads on tvwbb and this is what I came up with as a plan of action:

• Grates: QuliMetal 9mm SS304 18 bars @ $88. I haven't reached out to find out the price of Dave's famous grates; if anyone knows please do tell.
  • Flavorizer Bars: QuliMetal 16GA SS @ $37
  • Heat Deflectors: clean existing for the time being. The QuliMetal ones are unavailable but the UniFlasy 16GA ones are $23.
  • Igniter: haven't tested, but I could use a recommendation.
  • Burners: I haven't tried them yet but will likely just lightly sand clean and reuse.
  • Inside the Box: clean with scraper and some kind of degreaser but not sure what or how. I have an angle grinder in case this helps, but it doesn't look that bad. 🤔
  • Outside: use Simple Green and Barkeepers Friend (both I have).
Any suggestions in parts are greatly appreciated. The grill is for me so I'm hoping to make it a bit extra special and thus the choices I made, but I could easily be convinced to get 430 SS grates or 20GA FBs if the price significantly reflects the drop in quality or if my choices are just not worth it.

Also, any tips in cleaning the box are more than appreciated. It doesn't look too bad, but any shortcuts to cleaning it would go a long way. I've thought of oven cleaner, wire brushes, etc., but it's all a guess for me.

Anyhow, thanks for any help. After reading hundreds of posts I've learned a lot and you've inspired me a lot as well. I guess it being my first time I wanted to double check I'm on the right path.

Cheers, Adrian.

Attachments

• 20210421_134102.jpg
    20210421_134102.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210421_134117.jpg
    20210421_134117.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210421_134141.jpg
    20210421_134141.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210421_134212.jpg
    20210421_134212.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 35
Looks like it is in great shape. I like cast iron grates so I would save the money and use those (plus I am "thrifty". Get the SS flavorizers, new drip pan and a stack of liners. Check the igniter and battery as they always seem to leak and screw up the igniter. Take the burners out and use some steel wool and bar keepers, put together and fire it up. $50 is a deal for that!

Newbie Alert!

So my wife has been telling me to get me a new grill for Father's Day this year. I figured I would get me a Spirit II e310 or the like. I've been grilling with an old Q (with amazing results for its size) for years. Anyhow, I found this 2013 Genesis E310 for $50, which to me is in great condition: no rust in the cabinet; FBs are gone, but that's expected; a tiny bit of rust in the drip tray; heat deflectors 40% life; and cast iron grates in pretty rough shape. I know, I know... seeing the kind of work y'all put on your Webers the word restoring is a stretch, but this is my first do-anything-to-it Weber, so i need a little help along the way. I read a couple of hundred threads on tvwbb and this is what I came up with as a plan of action:

• Grates: QuliMetal 9mm SS304 18 bars @ $88. I haven't reached out to find out the price of Dave's famous grates; if anyone knows please do tell.
  • Flavorizer Bars: QuliMetal 16GA SS @ $37
  • Heat Deflectors: clean existing for the time being. The QuliMetal ones are unavailable but the UniFlasy 16GA ones are $23.
  • Igniter: haven't tested, but I could use a recommendation.
  • Burners: I haven't tried them yet but will likely just lightly sand clean and reuse.
  • Inside the Box: clean with scraper and some kind of degreaser but not sure what or how. I have an angle grinder in case this helps, but it doesn't look that bad. 🤔
  • Outside: use Simple Green and Barkeepers Friend (both I have).
Any suggestions in parts are greatly appreciated. The grill is for me so I'm hoping to make it a bit extra special and thus the choices I made, but I could easily be convinced to get 430 SS grates or 20GA FBs if the price significantly reflects the drop in quality or if my choices are just not worth it.
Stick with 16 ga bars and heat plates. You won't get 20 much cheaper. Your dollars per year of use is going to be waaayyy better with the 16 ga parts.

You probably won't find a better price for 304 SS 9mm cooking grates. Dave Santana grates will cost you a good $50 more.

Also, any tips in cleaning the box are more than appreciated. It doesn't look too bad, but any shortcuts to cleaning it would go a long way. I've thought of oven cleaner, wire brushes, etc., but it's all a guess for me.
Scrape the box out and be done with it. Even if you clean it to bare aluminum, it will look like that again in a few months of grilling.
Anyhow, thanks for any help. After reading hundreds of posts I've learned a lot and you've inspired me a lot as well. I guess it being my first time I wanted to double check I'm on the right path.

Cheers, Adrian.
One last thing. It does look like there is surface rust on the bottom of the cabinet. It might be dirt and grease, but if it is rust, you will want to grind it off and repaint or you will quickly have a bigger mess to deal with. But, I think you have a great grill to work with and you have a great game plan to put it into good working shape.

Looks like it is in great shape. I like cast iron grates so I would save the money and use those (plus I am "thrifty". Get the SS flavorizers, new drip pan and a stack of liners. Check the igniter and battery as they always seem to leak and screw up the igniter. Take the burners out and use some steel wool and bar keepers, put together and fire it up. $50 is a deal for that!
I like your thrifty ways and so does my next mower. See what I did there?

Any cast iron grates you'd recommend? I wouldn't mind keeping the existing ones but given it would in theory be a Father's Day gift from my wife and the grates is what you see most, I would want it to look nice so that she also feels good about it. I've only grilled on cast iron anyhow, so that's what I'm used to, but after reading so much about SS grates I figured why not?

I am a HUGE fan of QUALITY stainless grates. Large rods and tight spacing. My theory is of all the things you will "interact" with or "touch" the grates are the one thing that will truly influence how the grill "works" for you. Nothing to me is more aggravating than food falling between or delicate fish sticking to chintzy thin rods.

Stick with 16 ga bars and heat plates. You won't get 20 much cheaper. Your dollars per year of use is going to be waaayyy better with the 16 ga parts.

You probably won't find a better price for 304 SS 9mm cooking grates. Dave Santana grates will cost you a good $50 more.

Scrape the box out and be done with it. Even if you clean it to bare aluminum, it will look like that again in a few months of grilling.

One last thing. It does look like there is surface rust on the bottom of the cabinet. It might be dirt and grease, but if it is rust, you will want to grind it off and repaint or you will quickly have a bigger mess to deal with. But, I think you have a great grill to work with and you have a great game plan to put it into good working shape.
Thanks for the quick response and good tips.

Those grates look VERY nice! Are they the Qlimetal ones? If so, hard to argue with the thickness or spacing.

Back