Restoring a manifold??? Cleaning valves??? Seen the vid

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all....still working on my 2000 Silver B.....today I tinkered with the manifold a bit. I dont like that the manifold appears to be steel and is covered in rust. I am hesitant to take a brush cup to it because I dont understand the innards of that tube...is there a tube inside the tube....or is that the tube? I would like to clean it up.

So I saw the valve cleaning vid but every valve I open up is relatively clean. I would love to see a pic of what u guys are calling a gunked up valve. I havent really got the trick down of making the valves mega smooth. Today I sinned and used a light coating of dielectric grease....dont judge :( ....The only discoloring in the valve that I could see was a circle under where the spring sits and that appeared to have worn the brass right through I assume. I sprayed out the valves with brake cleaner...applied a light coating of grease and checked the small valve hole which was clear....then just reassembled feeling like I did nothing. On that note do any of u know what side the tiny valve screws are.....can we just get a stainless version at Home Depot to replace?

What do u hard core resto bling guys do when u come across a rusty manifold???? Just tuck it in under the lid :) I think I will give mine a surface brushing and hit it with some black paint.

See pics of my manifold....
oh ps.....yes I removed the brass stem and applied a light coat of grease then re installed

Attachments

• 20200510_153004.jpg
    20200510_153004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200510_153006.jpg
    20200510_153006.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200510_160902.jpg
    20200510_160902.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 31
On my restores, I don't ususally worry about surface rust on a manifold. It doesn't hinder operation of the grill and isn't really visible when installed. As for the valves, I would give them a small shot with some penetrating oil. It is likely the grease is just thick and making the valves sluggish.

I wouldn't blame you for wanting to repaint the manifold. But if you do, make sure you use a good high temp paint as the brackets will get quite hot where they connect to the cook box. Be carefull when removing the rust so that you don't damage the valves with a wire wheel or whatever you choose to clean it up with.

cool.....Ya I am just gunna give it a scuff up and hit it with High Heat grill paint.
Thanks

Really dielectric grease is not meant for lubrication. It is only meant for preventing moisture damage. Same with regular old valve grease (used on water faucets). Dielectric is silicone based and NOT something you want inside the valves as it migrates and is very insidious. Disc brake lube is the best choice (the black stuff with moly in it). This https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...be-09977/7730004-P?searchTerm=disc brake lube stuff in this little packet has enough to do a lifetime of valves. Or any high heat EP chassis grease with moly in it. But NOT dielectric.

I knew I was being bad....its a whata had.......I went very thin with it.....I used the brake grease on the last grill but it didnt make me feel a whole lot better about myself. But thank you for the knowledge....I like to do thing right....Maybe I will remove...wipe of.....and fix my error.....I hit the manifold with a coat or two of high heat....it looks better then rust20200511_194631.jpg

Back