Restoration Newbie - Genesis 2000

SarahG

I was looking to buy a new grill when a friend steered me towards this forum. After browsing his Genesis 1000 restoration journey, I was hooked. I cruised Facebook marketplace and found this Genesis 2000. And now the restoration begins! The grill seems to be in decent shape, but we'll see once the grime is scrubbed away...
IMG_8804.jpg
IMG_8805.jpg
IMG_8809.jpg
IMG_8810.jpg

Wow! Can’t wait to see it all cleaned up and shining! That seems like the perfect fixer-upper candidate!
You’ll have more shelf-space than I have in my kitchen!

Sarah,
You picked up a definite winner in my book! If you are willing to patiently stick through the hard, dirty work part and invest in some key new parts you will have a real beauty there. Love the wood bottom and side tables that go so well with a black hood. From your first pictures it looks like you have a very solid foundation to work with. Best wishes and keep us posted!

Yah, that is a great base grill for a rehab. Looks in good overall shape.
And it looks like it comes with a rotisserie....Bonus.

Check under the right control panel for the serial number information to get an exact date on this grill. Mid 90's is my bet.

Keep an eye out for a red head lid from another grill. The lids are pretty much inter-changeable.
Does Weber still sell the lid side panels for the 2000 lids?
I have an 1986 redhead that blew the right lid hinge off in a propane explosion.
The rest of the grill is in good shape. I’d like to rehab it if possible.

Sorry, Didn’t mean to hi jack the thread

Nice! I'm beginning to restore a 2000 as well, but will need to replace all the wood (looks like you can salvage yours). Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your positive feedback and tips! I finally disassembled my grill and started the cleaning process.

In the spirit of my friend @AHymel , I laid everything out as I took the grill apart.

lay out.jpg

The flavorizer bars are looking the worse for wear... More on that later...

flav bars.jpg

The frame is looking great! It was a pain to get the swinging side table off, but I got it! There are only a few problem spots - see following pic.

grill frame.jpg

There are a couple of spots that look like this. I assume that this will be fixed after a good sanding and paint job?

grillll.jpg

Here are some parts I have questions about:

Fuel scale assembly:

grilll.jpg

Flavorizer bars:

flavV bars.jpgflavvv bars.jpg

Igniter:

igniter.jpg

Burner tubes:

grill.jpg

Questions:

1. Problem spots on frame: sand and paint? I've already read over @PaulD 's "Drab to Fab" and bought:
- 400 grit sandpaper - for sanding the metal
- Rustoleum high heat ultra
- Rustoleum high heat

2. Fuel scale assembly: what is the protocol for cleaning this? The spring inside is fairly rusted. Is it handy/do I really need it, or can I nix it?

3. Flavorizer bars: They're all pretty crusty. Rust has eaten holes in a few - can I get away with keeping these or should I purchase new?

4. Igniter: It works, but it's not pretty. Is it a good idea to install a new one?

5. Burner tubes: I have not tested these, so I don't even know if they work... I read @Chris Allingham 's post "Spring Cleaning for Your Gas Grill" where he recommends "brush[ing] off the burners and punch[ing] out any clogged holes with an opened paper clip or small eyeglass screwdriver." Would that be enough to get my burner tubes freshened up?

Thank you for your help! I can't wait to work on my grill more tomorrow!

Yah, that is a great base grill for a rehab. Looks in good overall shape.
And it looks like it comes with a rotisserie....Bonus.
It only has the rotisserie motor :( I tested it and it runs, but is lacking the shaft and forks. If you know anyone looking for a rotisserie motor, I've got one!

Check under the right control panel for the serial number information to get an exact date on this grill. Mid 90's is my bet.
I searched the serial #, but it came up with 0 results: ER 22739. I combed through some manuals and I'm pretty sure mine is the 1998
GENESIS® 2000 Series LP Gas Barbecue. Not a bad guess!

I searched the serial #, but it came up with 0 results: ER 22739. I combed through some manuals and I'm pretty sure mine is the 1998
GENESIS® 2000 Series LP Gas Barbecue. Not a bad guess!
0D60BD57-763E-431A-A190-C8979B7290E4.jpeg
Actually, it looks like it might be 1993 - is that right?

Don't know how I missed this one, but that is a winner...Has that been said before? Anyways I see you're into the restore and you will have a winner when you're done. Looking forward to see the end product.

Back