Replacement Suggestions for Weber Summit 475 Built-In

DannyMiller

I have a built-in Weber Summit 475 BBQ that I need to replace with a modern grill that will fit in the existing cut out. It currently mounts on a Weber 475 built-in sleeve. This is what defines the opening size. I am attaching some photos.

I have been looking at a variety of built-in grill options but am hesitant to pull the trigger based on concerns that they won't fit properly. I am not attached to Weber if they don't have a suitable replacement. It needs to be a quality product with 4 burners and the searing feature would be a bonus. If anyone has faced this challenge before and found a good option, I'd appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to TVWBB, Danny!

I am personally a HUGE fan of what you already have - the 1st generation Summit grill. Other than the firebox which is very prone to rust-through, I feel these grills are leagues ahead of most of the "modern" grills you mention. Are you sure you wouldn't be up for a renovation? With 50,000 btus in that package, I can't imagine too many replacements that could sear any better. I know I LOVE cooking on mine.

Steaks sizzling on the Summit 2.jpeg

I have had stainless reinforcement panels made that would allow you to breathe new life into your firebox if you are up for the challenge.

Anyway, there are of course some very expensive grills like Wolf, Lynx and FireMagic to name a few, that would be superb replacements. But, how much you would need to adjust to get one to fit, I do not know. You might shop those brands online. They all should have built-in versions and you could compare the measurements.

What’s the sub construction of your bbq island?

The slate exterior tiles should be widely available. I’m guessing you could also reengineer the internal supports with steel track and studs.

I don’t think you’re limited by current market product dimensions. It all depends on what you really want to achieve.

I’d recommend you also lol at Blaze grills. They’re SS and they have two sizes at the 2k price range. I don’t think you’ll get much better performance when spending above that dollar amount from my past research.

Welcome to TVWBB, Danny!

I am personally a HUGE fan of what you already have - the 1st generation Summit grill. Other than the firebox which is very prone to rust-through, I feel these grills are leagues ahead of most of the "modern" grills you mention. Are you sure you wouldn't be up for a renovation? With 50,000 btus in that package, I can't imagine too many replacements that could sear any better. I know I LOVE cooking on mine.

View attachment 73953

I have had stainless reinforcement panels made that would allow you to breathe new life into your firebox if you are up for the challenge.

Anyway, there are of course some very expensive grills like Wolf, Lynx and FireMagic to name a few, that would be superb replacements. But, how much you would need to adjust to get one to fit, I do not know. You might shop those brands online. They all should have built-in versions and you could compare the measurements.
Thank you, Jon! I had not consider refurbishment of the existing grill. I will take it apart and inspect it further. I may have holes in the firebox but need to verify. I looked at the link you provided to the conversation regarding the stainless panels. I am struggling to understand how I can get the exterior of the hood to look good again, even if the burners, burner supports, grill, and firebox issues could be addressed. Did you do anything with the exterior?

Just cleaned well with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool. Scraped the inside carefully with a razor scraper finishing up with 0000 steel wool. Repainted aluminum firebox parts and hood end caps with semi-gloss high heat black.

BEFORE
IMG_2533.jpeg

WORKING ON IT
IMG_2532.jpeg

AFTER
IMG_2534.jpeg

I hope you will take on the challenge and give that Summit a second chance! :coolkettle:

Wow!!! What a transformation. I've looked deeper at the burner supports and there is pretty massive corrosion that has occurred. I looks to me like a lot of work to figure out how to remove and fabricate/install a replacement. I appreciate the encouragement to work with what I have but I am not able to invest the time and so I am inclined to find a suitable new replacement. Thank you!!

Yes that is a part almost impossible to find anywhere. It’s a shame, but I am glad you considered it. I hope you find a suitable replacement grill. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

Well one thing is there is no way you're going to find a grill that will just "drop in". You will have to do some construction work. I would suggest that whatever you buy, get something all 304SS or with cast aluminum fire box at the least. Then the only thing you will have to worry about is keeping it clean

Danny-I'm wondering how close to the back the 475 sits in the sleeve on the two support bars. Is there much of a gap, or does it fit very closely? I have a 675 new old stock that I purchased several years ago that I'm going to install in a new grill island very soon, and was wondering about the space in the back. Thanks, and best of luck finding what you are looking for.

Back