rejuvenating a 1000

Hi, I picked up a very nice 1000 and need a few parts and have a question for the board.
Please see the attached photos.

1) Can someone tell me where I can find the plastic plugs that lock the control panel in place?
2) Can I still find the "basket" that holds the grease tray somewhere?
3) Does this silver bracket belong to my grill somewhere?

thank so much,
Scott

image2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

You have a control panel from a year that used two plastic plugs to hold it on, you can't buy those anymore. The part I show above was technically for control panels that had smaller, round holes for the screws but works fine on these too. I have purchased them from ereplacementparts.com, but should be available from other sources. The Weber drip pan replacement is made out of aluminum and the after market ones are generally cheaper and look more like the original ones that came on the grill.

Great thanks guys.

Can someone confirm that the manifold hanger is correctly placed in the photo below? what are the 2 holes for in the hanger, maybe I am missing something?

My new 1000 (I had been looking for a red one for about 6 months and this popped up for free :) it had been sitting indoors for decades). I cleaned it up and put a new regulator hose on it and it fired right up, even the ignitor worked flawlessly. I cleaned and regreased the valves, repainting the badge, ordered a new drip pan, flavorizer bars, cover, tested the thermometer (off by 15 degrees) everything else seems to be good. I will use linseed oil to treat the wood. Is there anything else I should be checking? Are there any tests for proper functioning, like reaching a certain temp on high after 5 min.?

thanks,
Scott

PS are there new white rings available for the wheels?

image1 (1).jpegimage0 (1).jpeg

Scott, looking good.

If you want to post a pic with all the grates and flav bars removed, all burners on high, and another all burners on low we can give you feedback.

as far as the thermometer, they are pretty inexpensive to replace.

Manifold hanger looks correct. no idea what the holes are for.

A gent name Chuck 3D prints wheel rings. He can do original looks or custom ones.

I connected with him on one of the FB groups. There's some detail in this thread too.

Last edited:
Manifold hanger is correct.
Not sure what the two holes are for, but maybe they intended to put a wire or string through the holes and fasten it to the manifold to keep from losing it if it falls off, which is very common.

Looks like an awesome specimen. Look at the crossmember on the left side of the cookbox. In the middle where the cookbox is fastened to it with a steel bolt is a common place for rust. If it looks bubbled up under the paint, then it is probably in rough shape and should probably be fixed or replaced. That is one of the weak spots on those grills.

You can treat yourself to a new thermometer if you want to. If it still works and the display isn't too faded out, I usually just clean them up with fine steel wool and they look like brand new again. It's coming along great!

Re the thermometer.
I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I think that if the stem isn’t straight, then there might be binding in there causing it to be off.
If your thermometer is bent, try straightening it and see if it works better.

Gerry

thanks guys, left side looks good, I took some pics of the flame but honestly they kinda all look the same, it does put off some good heat though.

Left to right high, medium, low (camera may have been a bit wiggly).

image0 (3).jpegimage1 (3).jpegimage2 (2).jpeg

Attachments

• image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1
Those flames still look pretty good although I would probably replace those burner tubes anyway. They are probably original to the grill since I saw they had the plastic spider guards on them and you can get a nice aftermarket set for pretty cheap compared to OEM Weber.

I think a good cleaning will do the trick on those old burners. The old burner sets are way better than the new aftermarket ones

I think a good cleaning will do the trick on those old burners. The old burner sets are way better than the new aftermarket ones
I agree that the old 304 stainless ones are really nice. It is true, though, that some are just worn out and start cracking and getting holes. Those need to go. But if all that is needed is cleaning, then a wire brush, carb cleaner (as you have wisely suggested), and some effort and you are back in business.

Does any one know if the WEBER branded burners are still 304 SS and the same quality as they made 20 years ago?

Back