Regulator chatter about my 5000? Blueberry

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Well I have a couple of threads going right now but I just want to learn about this funky regulator on my current project grill......its the big Blueberry w side burner I think its a 5000 model but still havent figured that out yet. When I purchased this grill it was hooked up to a propane tank via this regulator. I thought it was just a quick release but I guess this is just an older grill thing. I would like to put a normal regulator on this old gal so whoever I sell it to can just hook it up and cook it up. See what I did there :) .......... It has one normal threaded nipple coming off of the manifold for the side burner then the main nipple is a sideways leaning thing. I am assuming I need to remove this sidewinder from the manifold and hook a modern looking threaded nip to this manifold........can this be done or is there some reason that I am somehow screwed? See pics please

Attachments

• 20200705_204848.jpg
    20200705_204848.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200705_204853.jpg
    20200705_204853.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200705_204907.jpg
    20200705_204907.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200705_204903.jpg
    20200705_204903.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200703_100755.jpg
    20200703_100755.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 50
I just had an ah ha moment......I guess I could remove the fitting from the valve side of the regulator and add the standard one.....is that the trick?

Yep, no need to replace entire regulator. That $2.50 nut will do the job. Not sure about the other issue. Maybe if you asked in plain English?

Hey LM your in the Hall of Fame and I appreciate your input but I am seeing a pattern with you. You appear to be a no nonsense kind of guy. I am just trying to have fun and add a little humor to my posts....I am not trying to poke the bear. In plain English I am not trying to upset you. Were just talkin about grills here I dont think a little slang hurts too bad.

Dave and Jeff....thanks for your replies and the link....very helpful and the links are always big time savers.

Not upset, just can't figure out what you're asking is all. And yeah I am a plain English no nonsense person. The "bear" doesn't bite I just like to give simple answers to simple questions

Hi Jim,
I have the exact same grill that I got from my friends (Blue Top AFF) that bought it new, they gave me the owners guide that came with it and it says that it is a Genesis 3000 series grill, hope this helps.
Ed Greenwell

Cool LM.....I am on the same page with you now. All good. Its just in my nature to add a little flare to my posts to try to get a chuckle out of who ever is reading them.
Thanks Ed......its funny I have had 3 different replies on what model my grill is and they were all different answers :)
I would love to see a pic of your Blue Topper......it will further motivate me to get to grinding and scraping.

Now Larry, the bear does growl from time to time.
Jim, you will get plenty of good advice here sometimes you have to ask the right way, I have had to really dig to get the solution and it usually turns out that my question was just improperly phrased, it’s a little like Jeopardy. For the record it’s flair not flare one is style the other burns.
Ed, that’s amazing that you have an AFF blueberry too, that just slays me!

Ha.....roger that...........I will try to step up my game. For the record........as I was typing that reply I asked my wife how to spell flair.......now she is saying I didnt give her the correct context. I guess I had better go to work now.....talk to u guys later

Jim,
The 3000 Genesis does not have the right side swing up table.
Your picture shows a right side swing up table which signifies 4000 model.

Jeff

I would agree with Jeff. However, that could have been added at some point down the road. After all, that is a 20+ year old grill and they are easy to modify like that.

Does the grill have the corresponding right side slide bracket for the right swing table? Those are not so easy to come by as the shelf itself.

Hi Jim,
Here is a photo of my grill, I didn't have the second flip up table yet in this picture my friend was looking for it, but I subsequently got it and installed it. I will have to take a picture of it now with all the parts.EKhndSFd.jpeg.jpg

Hey Ed sorry for the slow reply......I dont remember getting an email notice. Ya how about that you have a crooked sticker too......our grills are worth millions!!!! Its about 95 degrees around here almost daily but I got out on the deck today and wiped down the frame with just plain water and a rag.......This ole blue topper is in amazing condition for its age which makes it a joy to work on. I bought poplar wood for the slats. No particular reason for the poplar other then it was a step up from the mega cheap stuff and I was able to find enough straight pieces. I hope it will stain nicely. I have the grill stripped down to just a rolling frame. I have no intention of taking the frame apart due to its condition. Given my painting mishaps so far I am paranoid of painting this frame but I gotta do it. I am also a bit paranoid of painting the end caps and cook box but I will jump in head deep soon. Man o man I will think twice before I have to grind out another deep cook box. I suited up full tilt.......I used a dr's covid face mask then a respirator over that....then my new face shield. I also wore a Weber Bib.....a long shirt....and long pants. It sure felt good to be properly protected. From this point on that will be my set up for grinding cook boxes.
I found this sticker under my control panel of my blue topper......maybe this will determine exactly what I have.

Attachments

• 20200708_105056.jpg
    20200708_105056.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 9
When I got the grill from my friends it was in bad shape and I had to do some sprucing up, the knobs looked pretty rough so I looked at what paint I had and red was the winner, I had to replace all the wooden slats and the lower shelf had fallen down on on one side, and the grease tray was rotted out, so it took a little TLC but it looked like the grill was worth saving, I use it a lot.

Ed Greenwell

Back