Reason Weber lowered max temperature on newer grills?

GarrettB

TVWBB Member
I read that the reason Weber lowered the maximum temperature/BTU on their newer grills was so that they could use lower quality steel so it does not rust from higher temps. Is there any truth to this? The sear station also helps for those who need higher temperature temporarily.

If this is not the reason, then why did Weber lower the max temperature in their newer models?

Lowering the BTU consumption does not equal lowering the temps. SO first get that outta your head. They made some design changes that allowed them to get more heat from less gas.

No. Why would it? IF anything it would drive off more moisture. Beside, they are not lower temps just less BTU to get the same temps
I've read a number of posts/reviews online of people unable to get their newer Weber past 550-600 degrees. Weber is definitely lowering the max temperature. Maybe what you are saying was their intent, but my research of the real world says that is not occurring.

Larry is right fuel equals heat so what type of fuel are they using some of coals,or lump do not produce high temps.
If the vents top and bottom are the same,grill size the same it must be a fuel issue.

If you're reading what people see on the hood thermometer pay attention to the fact that they're wildly inaccurate, they're placed in different spots based on the age of the grill as well.
Kevin we're discussing gas grills here not charcoal

How often do you need more than 600F degrees? I hardly ever go that high. And there are a lot of other factor which determine the max heat.

I personally need max heat for pizza, but other than that not so much. Not that I will need one anytime soon but I do hope this is a gauge problem and not a design issue.

Paul

I come nowhere near using max heat when I make pizzas. It's not just how much heat it's how it's radiated. Which is why I use my Wolf and not the Weber. While the Weber can get more than hot enough it does not radiate that heat well and so only the bottom cooks properly. With the Wolf because I have that radiant IR burner, it brings heat all around my pies more like a wood fired pizza oven. I keep the IR burner at max and the lower burners (all 6) at medium. That Wolf puts out so much fire power if I turned the conventional burners all up to max it would incinerate the pizzas before cooking them LOL

Just for some historical perspective, when I bought my Weber Genesis 2 in 1992, the rap back then was that Weber gas grills had lower BTU than competitor's grills. The answer was always, "It's not how many BTUs you've got, it's how efficiently you use them."

In fact, a quick search finds this currently on Weber.com, it basically says, "Don't you worry your pretty little head about BTUs, Weber's got it all figured out."

Here at Weber, we’re occasionally asked why some of our competitor’s gas grills have higher BTU ratings than our gas grills.

First of all, what is a BTU?

BTU stands for British Thermal Unit. That might sound technical, but all it really tells you is how much fuel it will use in a given period of time.

So that means that a grill with a high BTU rating will use more fuel than one with a lower rating.

Weber grills have not only been designed for quality and performance, but efficiency as well. Our grills are not wasteful gas guzzlers. They use just the right amount of fuel to provide consistent, even, delicious results.

There is a law that requires every gas grill to have ventilation for safety purposes. If you look at the back of the lid on Weber full-size gas grills (shown below), you’ll notice a very narrow opening that acts as a vent.

The vent on many other brands, with really high BTU ratings, that same vent may be quite wide. This means that a lot of the heat generated by that high BTU rating is just going right out the back of the unit.

So back to that question…“Why do some competitor gas grills have higher BTU ratings than Weber gas grills?”

The answer is that BTUs should be of no concern when choosing a Weber gas grill. From the diminutive Gas-Go Anywhere to the massive Summit Grill Center, any of our gas grills are going to have just the right amount of BTUs to grill food with great results, and do so efficiently.

So next time you’re out there shopping for a Weber gas grill, don’t worry about the BTU rating.

If you're reading what people see on the hood thermometer pay attention to the fact that they're wildly inaccurate, they're placed in different spots based on the age of the grill as well.
Kevin we're discussing gas grills here not charcoal
Sorry did not see that and you are correct the lid thermos are terrible some spot on but many are not

Back