Reacquainting myself with the WSM

DaleO

TVWBB Member
I recently pulled my 18“ WSM out of moth balls. Got it all cleaned up aNd ready to do a test run tonight. Next weekend, I’ll be taking in my RV to do a brisket cook for 25 people. I’m will be using the Sous Vide first, then smoke method, thats all I’ll have time for. My preference is to smoke at around 300° for about 3 hrs, the goal is to get some smoke, but more importantly develop some bark, therefore the higher temp. Since I’ve only ever used this for low and slow cooking, using the minion method I learned from Harry Soo, I’m wondering what is a good method to maintain 300° over 3-4 hrs?

Thanks,
Dale

2 things come to mind. Use a full chimney to start your minion. I have done this and had trouble getting the temp down below 300. Second don't use water, and I guess you could also try no water and full chimney. Also open up vents a lot more than low and slow. I did chicken like that...I think Chris has a good write about doing chickens that I followed for the high heat.

Thanks, I never use water anyway. I vaguely recall filling the pan with sand years ago….lol

Dale, you'll find Chris' Hot & Fast Chicken in the "Cooking Topics" section of VWB (at the top of this page, there's a pull down for "Virtual Weber Bullet".)

I had usually followed Harry Soo advice as I recall, using the aluminum ash pan wrapped in foil. My water pan looks brand new.

Let us know how it goes! I know I'd be pretty happy if someone I was camping/RV-ing with was serving me smoked/sous vide brisket! :)

R
Hope is goes well. It’s a bit of a risk, haven’t used this WSM in many years. I would normally use my portable Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett, but the WSM can hold more meat. I plan to get a few 15 lb whole Packers, trimmed to fit on each grate.

Brings up another question I have, which grate runs hottest? I’ve never measured.

Brings up another question I have, which grate runs hottest? I’ve never measured.
Since you're not running water, the following applies... Temperature increases the closer you are to the heat source.

-I do apologize if I have misled anyone with my comments. -

Last edited:
With an empty water pan, bottom rack is about 10 degrees cooler than the top rack. Hardly enough to make any difference.

Chris has done the science.

Just read this, very helpful. So with any configuration, the bottom grate is not as hot as the top. Since I need to use both, I would put the smaller brisket on the bottom, particularly since that’s where the hot spots are worst.

As I mentioned above, was thinking I would Sous Vide the brisket a few days ahead of time, then finish on the WSM for dinner. Been reading up on hot n fast methods for brisket, I’ve never tried it, but sounds like getting my 2 Packers (14 and 10 lbs) done the same day should pose no issue. I don’t think I even need to go very high, perhaps 275°-300°? I’m going to do some practice with the WSM over the next few days. Small Turkey today, I think I’ll pick up a small butt, and try to achieve this temp and time needed, it’s a lot cheaper to experiment with.

Back