Rant: Where have all the briskets gone?

Brett Grant

TVWBB Fan
Granted, I left it kind of to the last minute, but I decided that I wanted to do a brisket on Monday.

Last November, I moved to the Seattle area from Tucson, AZ, and I haven't done a brisket since. I thought that it would be easy to find a brisket, was it - no.

I went to Costco
Local Fred Meyers (Krogers)
Local QFC (Krogers)
Walmart Neighborhood Store
Win-Co

Got home, and called:
SuperWalmart - was told that they had them, they didn't
County Market - had them at 7.99/lb turns out that is just the flat
Haggen's - 9.99/lb for just flat
Another Win-Co - didn't have them
Two different butcher's - didn't have any
A restaurant wholesaler - CAB for 10/lb
Safeway - didn't have them

I drove to the Super Walmart (15 miles away). That is when I found out that they didn't have any. I stopped at another random Costco. No joy.

I went home and cried (just kidding).

So, there are some flats available in the $70 range which seems way to pricey to me. The last brisket that I bought was 16 lbs ~$40. If I am going to spend $160 on a slab of meat, I might as well get prime rib from Costco, well, they had some for $140, so I would save 20 bucks.

Crazy.

Rant over. :mad:

Not sure if this is the answer but there has been some crazy sales on Briskets this week ranging from $1.47-1.77 that I have seen. My guess is people have stocked up on them .

Everyone is cooking one this weekend. My Costco here only had trimmed flats at $7.00/lb (+). Other grocers ran out and didn't stock back up.

Ribs everywhere, had to settle for that today. Boo Hoo!

Cash and Carry.....down by Safeco.

My CAC....the supplier couldnt supply enough select briskets so they had to substitute Choice for the $2.28 per lb price.

It hasn't gotten any better yet, both our local Costco and Sam's Clubs are having trouble keeping them in stock.

I would recommend moving to Texas! :cool:

I must agree with Tommy B. :cool: I did a 15 pound Choice CAB brisket two weekends ago (on sale for $1.47 lb) that was amazing, a couple of slabs of beef short plate ribs last weekend (on sale for $6 lb) that were also amazing, and am going to do a 20 pound Choice CAB brisket (on sale for $1.47 lb) again this weekend.

Back