Rain proofing HM 4.3

Joe Ellerbach

Cheers!

I'm new here and just bought an Oklahoma Joe Judge charcoal grill/smoker that I want to add PID temperature control to. HM seems like a great solution for this. One of the things that strikes me is that it doesn't seem very rain-resistant. So, I am thinking about how I might modify it to be more resistant to rain if I get caught in a downpour while doing a longer smoke. I wouldn't intend to leave it outdoors when I'm not using it, so it doesn't need to be completely weather-proof. I just don't want it to short out if a sudden rainstorm blows in mid-smoke.

So, to that end, here are some of the ideas and questions going through my head... Number one, I would like to have fewer holes in the case. I probably won't go as far as completely sealed connectors, but I would probably use a Pi Zero W so that I don't need a hole for the wireless adapter (or the wireless adapter could be completely inside the case). I would also probably use a membrane switch and integrate an LCD window and the LED's into the overlay so that the front wouldn't have any holes. I am most interested in using a 4-line LCD, but not completely set on that.

That leaves the power connector, RJ-45 for the damper/fan connections, and the temp sensors. Maybe those could be on one side with some kind of overhang above them or a hinged cover to shield them at least a little from direct rain. I still need to think more about the connectors. Sealed connectors would be really nice, but I can appreciate the reasons why common connectors were chosen, and indeed those benefits are significant for DIY projects. (BTW, is there a reason none of the connectors are on the bottom of the case? I think I saw that HM 4.0 had connectors on the bottom. Perhaps water gets drawn to those connectors?)

And, one additional enhancement that isn't related to rain-proofing, but seems very useful... I would like to power it directly from a power tool battery, say an 18-20V lithium-ion. The current electronics can handle up to about 14 volts it looks like. It would be nice if it could handle at least 20 volts. An external battery converter to 12V would also work, but is less plug and play. For a couple of dollars, HM could handle up to 20V+ directly. (It would probably still need to send 12 volts to the fan since that is a common fan voltage rating, but this is easy enough.)

I have a background in product development, and I'm willing to potentially design a new HM case, new HM PCB's, and a front panel membrane switch overlay that seals up the front and looks professional. But, I'm also interested to know if anyone has done any of these things already that I haven't found yet in my searches. I don't need to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done it.

Finally, would other people be interested in adopting these enhancements and/or contributing more enhancement ideas? I'm open to working together with people if there are some common interests and if others have energy to pursue some of these changes. I'm not intending to rock the boat, though, so if there isn't interest from others, then I would likely just pursue this on my own as a customized HM.

Oh, and a few words about the damper/fan...I am still not completely certain, but I think that the 15 CFM fan/damper design from WBegg may suit my application. It seems like that may be enough flow for my cooker. I suspect that the standard (6.8 CFM?) fan may not be enough flow especially at higher setpoints. So, I'm thinking that I would try 15 CFM first. But, I am certainly open to advice here. I will use my setup for both smoking and grilling.

Apologies for writing a book, but nice to meet you all, and let's make some great BBQ!

Thanks!
Joe

This is my version of a waterproof / weatherproof case:

This Rain Box is designed for blowers, but could you do something similar in a smaller fashion to meet your needs?
It would work, yes, but probably overkill. I'm not really expecting to smoke during a monsoon, which this would probably work for. I guess I'm looking for something that can either take a little drizzle or maybe some more substantial weather that blows in unexpectedly.

I did think about just putting a ziplock bag over the HM in these situations, and that could work. But, I'm definitely leaning towards a more elegant solution.

This is my version of a waterproof / weatherproof case:

Hey, that's a pretty nice job. Looks like you opted for no LCD? I guess you must just use your phone to set it up and view temps, is that right?

I was contemplating using a purchased sealed box, too, and that might work out ok. But, I would like to have all 4 buttons, I think, which is why I was heading down the sealed membrane switch path, and I would like to have an LCD. Your idea could work with an LCD inside the box I think, and of course, I could wire in 4 sealed switches, so it could work with a bit larger box.

You've given me some food for thought there.

Hey, that's a pretty nice job. Looks like you opted for no LCD? I guess you must just use your phone to set it up and view temps, is that right?

I was contemplating using a purchased sealed box, too, and that might work out ok. But, I would like to have all 4 buttons, I think, which is why I was heading down the sealed membrane switch path, and I would like to have an LCD. Your idea could work with an LCD inside the box I think, and of course, I could wire in 4 sealed switches, so it could work with a bit larger box.

You've given me some food for thought there.

I always use my phone or laptop to view the HM, so I don't have any need for the LCD. I originally planned to have no buttons on the case, but being able to trigger/disable lid mode while at the bbq works best, so I ended up putting a button in.

I bought this inexpensive weatherproof box when I first got my HM. It's done very well - the box design seals around the cables while the HM sits inside. Lid snaps on and off, so easy access if a storm pops up or if I need to access the HM during the cook.

It serves a dual purpose to store the HM, blower/servo, and all probes, power supplies, etc. When I want to use the HM, I just grab the box.

Back