Rack em up

Lookin good!!! Can’t wait to see them done and plated and hear about them. Normal rub and approach or anything new and different?

Lookin good!!! Can’t wait to see them done and plated and hear about them. Normal rub and approach or anything new and different?
Thanks. Homemade rub. A little sweet heat rounded with black pepper, paprika, garlic, hot chili powder, cayenne, light on the salt.

Cooking indirect between 250°-275°. Just added more dust to them.

Using JD XL with no enhancers. Spinning my grate every 30 mins to ensure even heat. And no sauce at the end. Just straight rub.

Oh man, looks great.
My best ever. Perfect bite but not fall off the bone. The rub had a nice finish of small heat and ever so slightly sweet. Well balanced. Total cook time was 2:43:12. Rested them for 30 minutes which made slicing easier and they really held moisture well.

1. Do you have the recipe for the magic dust? I'm thinking it might be close to the Memphis Dust i use. I did not search the site to see if you posted it already.

2. Did you Spritz during your cook? Your ribs look like they have a glisten to them. More so than when I make my ribs. I usually cook mine with just the Memphis dust. Sometimes I sauce them 30 minutes before pulling them, and sometimes I don't. The last time I made them, I did not sauce them at all. But I also never Spritz my ribs.

3. I generally use two tablespoons of the Memphis dust (from amazingribs.com. the recipe with the salt in it) on the meat side, and one tablespoon on the bone side. Membrane removed. How much do you use?

I'm doing baby back ribs tomorrow. So I figured I'd get some questions in now. Rotating the grate Every 30 minutes is a good idea. I'm going to try that because the last time I made three racks, one of the racks took an extra 10 minutes to cook.

Edit:
I googled magic dust. So it seems like you are referring to that which is a standalone recipe?

Last edited:
Looks pretty amazing! I like my ribs without sauce also.

Last time I made them, they were very good. My wife told me after we were done eating that they were not sweet enough :(.

Usually if I make wet ribs, I use a copycat recipe for Tony Roma's Carolina Honeys. Really good sauce. And we serve it for dipping too.

So tomorrow, I guess I'm making wet ribs :)

1. Do you have the recipe for the magic dust? I'm thinking it might be close to the Memphis Dust i use. I did not search the site to see if you posted it already.

2. Did you Spritz during your cook? Your ribs look like they have a glisten to them. More so than when I make my ribs. I usually cook mine with just the Memphis dust. Sometimes I sauce them 30 minutes before pulling them, and sometimes I don't. The last time I made them, I did not sauce them at all. But I also never Spritz my ribs.

3. I generally use two tablespoons of the Memphis dust (from amazingribs.com. the recipe with the salt in it) on the meat side, and one tablespoon on the bone side. Membrane removed. How much do you use?

I'm doing baby back ribs tomorrow. So I figured I'd get some questions in now. Rotating the grate Every 30 minutes is a good idea. I'm going to try that because the last time I made three racks, one of the racks took an extra 10 minutes to cook.

Edit:
I googled magic dust. So it seems like you are referring to that which is a standalone recipe?
Original recipe I modded version sent via pm. I also use Memphis dust but am trying to branch out with more flavors.

No spritz. Ever. Key is to cook at 250-275 and if you hit 300, open your lid and drop the temp. That 275+ range, imo, can burn the sugars in this recipe. That glisten is the sugars and meat fats as the meat sweats and becomes tender.

No sauce used and it’s not needed due to the sugar content in this rub. Over the 2:45 hours cook the sugars will break down and caramelize and form the bark you’re seeing.

Membrane removed. Ribs well dusted on meat and bone side. I start on the bone side and gently press the rub into the meat and then flip them over and gently shake off any excess and then press the meat side into the excess and then liberally dust the meat side and press the rub into the meat.

This recipe will be enough for 5-6 St Lou racks trimmed and squared. I also re dust the ribs, meat side only, after the first hour’s cook time. This ensures I have a full covering of rub on the meat.

Baby backs will cook much quicker. Watch your heat. Stay at that 250-275 range and they’ll be perfect.

Apply the rub at least 2 hours before cooking the ribs. This way the rub will penetrate and the sugars will break down which will aid your bark forming.

And rest your ribs, tented, for 20-30 mins before slicing. The rub will firm up a little and the ribs will be easier to handle and cut.

Last edited:

Back