Quick question about the ole Sidewinder

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.......I let my brother borrow my truck for ( 2 days ) which has turned into 2 weeks going on 3!!!!!!! Well this has really been cramping my resto style for grill pick ups and deliveries. So I have had to get creative and hunt grills that I can easily fit in the back of my mid size SUV.....like Spirit II 210 and 310's. Yet today I removed the shelves on a Genesis 300 with front knobs and got that in the SUV. So here is my question....I have my sites on a nice sidewinder with fresh ss grates and fresh bars yet with a rusted out bottom shelf all for the special price of $50. I will just replace the bottom shelf and that grill is always a great money maker for me.......but as I recall the sidewinders frame extends all the way under the side prep tables and the prep tables screw to the frame with the stainless steel removed right????? I am hoping I am wrong but I seem to remember removing and reinstalling those side tables and it was different on the sidewinder. There is no way to get that grill in my SUV with the side tables attached. Sure I could remove the hood and slide her in sideways but we all know those hood pins will be seized.

Hello all.......I let my brother borrow my truck for ( 2 days ) which has turned into 2 weeks going on 3!!!!!!! Well this has really been cramping my resto style for grill pick ups and deliveries. So I have had to get creative and hunt grills that I can easily fit in the back of my mid size SUV.....like Spirit II 210 and 310's. Yet today I removed the shelves on a Genesis 300 with front knobs and got that in the SUV. So here is my question....I have my sites on a nice sidewinder with fresh ss grates and fresh bars yet with a rusted out bottom shelf all for the special price of $50. I will just replace the bottom shelf and that grill is always a great money maker for me.......but as I recall the sidewinders frame extends all the way under the side prep tables and the prep tables screw to the frame with the stainless steel removed right????? I am hoping I am wrong but I seem to remember removing and reinstalling those side tables and it was different on the sidewinder. There is no way to get that grill in my SUV with the side tables attached. Sure I could remove the hood and slide her in sideways but we all know those hood pins will be seized.
The genesis 2/3 2000/3000 frames are two pieces across the top with the split in the middle of the cookbox.

If the lid pins are frozen, you could pull the cookbox and dismantle the frame.

A 7/16 ratcheting box can break the frame down quickly. The bottom frame nutserts are probably rusted but the rest should come apart quickly.

If it is a 2002+ silver or gold with the extended side tables, the end pieces slide in and bolt in. Then the frame width is just under 41 inches

You are right that the older “sidewinder” had a stouter frame than the later front control 300 series grills. On the sidewinder the frame does wrap around under the shelves whereas on the newer front control grills the shelves just hang on with clips. Another example of the bean counters progressively cutting corners🤨.

That may not bode well for your SUV pickup😟.

Thanks guys.....just got off the phone with my brother.......looks like I am stuck in my SUV until at least next week. One thing that I have learned since not having my truck..............I have to have a truck in my life. As for the Sidewinder....yep Jon you nailed it...thats how I remember that frame. No way I am loading that sloppy old 300 series in my nice clean SUV :(

Attachments

• sidewinder.jpg
    sidewinder.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, I hate those things! They still had a full frame and side controls, who wants that stuff?
People who prefer the E/W burners want that stuff. The real problem with those grills is that the knobs take up the entire right side shelf and with out drop down tables, there is just not enough shelf space left for most people.

Ha! Ya I really thought he would have the truck for just a couple of days.....and I hunted grills like I would have my truck back soon. Not the case! He even told me that the truck will be turning over the 200k mark while he has it.

People who prefer the E/W burners want that stuff. The real problem with those grills is that the knobs take up the entire right side shelf and with out drop down tables, there is just not enough shelf space left for most people.
Yes, I do like those sidewinders myself, but that lack of table space did hurt them in the market.

It is not as modern and maybe looks out of date today, but the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills with flip-up tables on both sides gave the most usable space without taking up half your deck!

Very true Bruce, it is a PITA only having one side and that's a side burner and if it's in use you're SOL for space that's why I have the gen 2000 with its flip up next to the E320 and the cabinet next to it also.
But after 25 years of E/W burners and having a couple of N/S burner grills I much prefer the E/W. TEHO.

It’s not that hard to add a shelf to any 1990s machine, just a drop table with a slider, all the holes are there.
Actually easier than b’s and c’s unless you already have their correct frames.

Attachments

• 5342DB79-1BC4-4A97-8B43-2A702DCFD9BE.jpeg
    5342DB79-1BC4-4A97-8B43-2A702DCFD9BE.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back