Questions about smoking habeneros

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.R. Markovic

Does anyone know how to smoke habenero peppers using the WSM? I would like to smoke the habenero peppers so that they are dry and can be broken into flakes or ground into powder.

Is there any smoking cookbooks that might have this information?

------------------

Thomas,

I don't have first-hand experience at smoking habenero peppers. However, I did find a series of postings at www.sammcgees.com/chili/brd/messages/7.html that discusses the topic.

From what I can tell, people are drying them at 180-210*F (don't know for how long) using mesquite or hickory, then using a dedicated coffee grinder to make powder or pulsing in a food processor for flakes. They say the process of drying in the smoker takes away some of the heat and adds a great flavor.

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can find any recipes in my BBQ cookbooks.

Give us a full report if and when you try your hand at it!

Regards,
Chris

Here's some more info I got from someone by the name of Q-Kid. It provides another approach.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
We build a smoldering fire that really smokes and hold the temp around 125-150*.

10-12 hours is plenty. If fire goes out just start it back. A damp, deary day is perfect--one of those days where the smoke goes down instead of up and just lingers around.

After that, we use a dehydrator then until they are brittle. Oven will do the same thing at low heat but OPEN the window. WOW! (Unless you never want sinus trouble again)

Put 'em in coffee grinder and grind 'em to a dust/powder. Use gloves and a mask.

Anyway you will love the results. You can use a very small amount and you will taste the smoke. Don't remove the seeds, the pepper will show up too.

Makes a great add for rubs, sauces and the like.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This past weekend added a few habenero pods to the WSM as I smoked some chickens. I found that smoking them at 220-250 for six hours will make them brittle and perfect for breaking up into flakes. Can't wait for my habenero plants to start producing so I can more flakes and use them in rubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back