Questions about Kingsford charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madbbqer

TVWBB Member
*Is there a less expensive brand that delivers the same results as Kingsford?

*Is Kingsford "re-packaged" as a store brand anywhere?

Just trying to save a few bucks.

I don't know if it repackaged and sold under another brand, but you can usually find Kingsford sold as a 2 pack (2-24 lb bags) in the discount warehouse stores and home centers. Its usually cheaper that way. Here in the west, I either buy it from Costco (we don't have Sams Club) or HomeDepot. I have also discovered that its cheaper in the summer than in the winter. Try other generic brands and see how they work. I was forced to buy a Safeway 10 lb bag a while ago and I thought it worked just fine on a short cook.

Madbbqer....

I have tried a few differnt brands and keep going back to Kingsford. Sam's is the best price by far....2 - 24 lb. paks for $10.

A membership will be paid for in the savings from this alone. PLUS, lots of other good stuff...gallons of cheap yellow mustard.....large jars of garlic cloves for drying and grinding...and if they have a meat market, savings galore!

I purchased two Kingsford 20lb bags for $9.96 two weeks ago at Homey-D. Not the best price but acceptable to me. I think Sam?s Club consistently has the best price but I currently do not have a membership. Wal-Mart?s price was about $6.27 for a single 24lb bag.

I used the Wal-Mart brand charcoal before and do not remember specific problems. My feeling is that the Kingsford brand does a very good job. I am not sure if that is due to successful advertising /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or from not having any problems that I can blame on the charcoal. If I found the Wal-Mart brand cheaper I would probably use it.

In the end, I want to pay under $5 for a minimum of 20 pounds. If I ran across another brand for less I would and do consider it. Like Kevin, I buy Kingsford as long as the price is reasonable.

I find the twin pack of two 24# bags for under $11 at Sam's, Home Depot and Costco. The prices seems to float around with $10.99 being the high.
HTH,

The problem with most of the other brands is they will burn cooler and leave a very large amount of ash. Kingsford seems to be the most consistant product out there. I have not tried them all, so there may be another brand that would do the job.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back