Question re: New Weber Gen II Porcelain Coated CI Grates

DannyP

Hello.. New here and was looking for opinions from others who have used these grates.

I bought the Weber Genesis II e-335 Grill (Ocean Blue) at the end of March and started using it in the beginning of April. I did season the grill grates (before I realized with Porcelain Coating that I did not need to). However, last week, when cleaning the grates with a nylon brush, I noticed that it seemed a coating was coming off the bars of the grates in some areas. I could see black specs coming off of certain spots on the grates, leaving what looked like cast iron underneath.

So my question is: is this the coating failing -- already?? Or is this just baked on fat from the oils and crisco that I have seasoned the grates with, plus any additional oil I have used before/after cooking on it? Any opinions are welcome. It has been a while since cooking with CI grates, so I am unsure. Had a Beefeater with CI, and never saw this happen, but not sure if they were just CI or coated CI like these. I find it hard to believe a coating would fail in, maybe, 6-7 grill jobs, but I don't really know. Thanks for any opinions or information.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_112746.jpg
    IMG_20200429_112746.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200429_112743.jpg
    IMG_20200429_112743.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 21
I agree with Larry. When the porcelain chips off, it is usually in thick enough hard chunks to recognize. They taste just wonderful :oops:... That is why I am a fan of plain cast iron, in spite of all the extra work. I think the plated cast iron on the newer Webers like yours are not nearly as susceptible to chipping as the ones they used to sell at Home Depot that had a shiny black coating.

Yah, i think those lighter areas that you are seeing are simply areas where the "seasoning" has come off due to brushing or scraping or whatever.

Back