Question for Wingmasters

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
I have no issues with getting crispy wings either from the oven, fryer, or bbq/grill.

However, the question I have for wing experts out there is:

When saucing, how do you get the wings to stay crispy? No matter how little sauce I toss wings in, it sogs up the skin a bit. Are there any tips around this?

Thanks!!

I’m not sure you really can keep truly crispy skin after saucing. It’s rather like thinking you can get a newspaper flat after it’s gotten wet. Not the best example but, once you get the skin crisp you have basically dried (rendered) the fat from the skin, add moisture (sauce) you are re introducing moisture to that dried skin which will absorb it.
That’s why I’ve taken to dry rubbed wings and only use a dipping sauce.
Just my take on it.

I hear ya... I just seem to feel like I have ordered sauced wings in various restaurants/pubs that have felt crispy despite having sauce on them. Maybe it is just my mind playing tricks with me since I haven't been to a bar in almost a year now due to stupid Covid?

Commercial wing joints do something like flouring or starching when they bread (or not) fry their wings as Mark says, I just dip at table, I don’t usually care for the quarts of commercial plastic goo they want to enrobe them with. A little sauce, when it’s GOOD goes just the right way for my taste.

While I don't love this technique, you can put them under the broiler post-saucing for two minutes. Then re-sauce and serve asap.

I just use dipping sauce as I eat them. The restaurants deep fry them so I think they are crispier and the fryer fat keeps them from absorbing the sauce so they don’t soften up.

I just use dipping sauce as I eat them. The restaurants deep fry them so I think they are crispier and the fryer fat keeps them from absorbing the sauce so they don’t soften up.

Even when I deep fry and they are super crispy I find that they soften quite a bit when tossed in sauce.

I "fry" my wings using the Vortex on my Performer. 20 minutes, then flip, and 10-20 minutes later they are crisp and finished. My preferred way is to then brush on a light coat of "Apricot Preserves, Honey, and Chipotle in Adobo" sauce right after pulling the wings off the grill. I serve them immediately.
NOTE: Use your favorite rub before putting on the grill. GFS Salmon rub works well as does various typical BBQ rubs. Our favorite rub is Webbers Kick'n' Chicken.

By the way, I no longer brine my chicken but DO use a sharp fork and perforate the skin before applying the rub.

Another good way (almost too crisp) is to use Louisiana Chicken Fry (directions on the box) cook them same method as above with the Vortex. Great way to do also.

FWIW
Dale53

Literally defrosted these, rinsed, dried with a paper towel and seasoned them while Vortex got hot. They came out great and were super easy. I have tried doing the cornstarch and salt dry brine in the fridge but didnt have space today so took easy way out but overall stoked on them.

Attachments

• 20201206_183645.jpg
    20201206_183645.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201206_183046.jpg
    20201206_183046.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201206_183641.jpg
    20201206_183641.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 8
I "fry" my wings using the Vortex on my Performer. 20 minutes, then flip, and 10-20 minutes later they are crisp and finished. My preferred way is to then brush on a light coat of "Apricot Preserves, Honey, and Chipotle in Adobo" sauce right after pulling the wings off the grill. I serve them immediately.
NOTE: Use your favorite rub before putting on the grill. GFS Salmon rub works well as does various typical BBQ rubs. Our favorite rub is Webbers Kick'n' Chicken.

By the way, I no longer brine my chicken but DO use a sharp fork and perforate the skin before applying the rub.

Another good way (almost too crisp) is to use Louisiana Chicken Fry (directions on the box) cook them same method as above with the Vortex. Great way to do also.

FWIW
Dale53
I've prepared "fried" chicken with the vortex as well, I wish someone sold the Louisiana Chicken Fry mix here in AZ.

I hear ya... I just seem to feel like I have ordered sauced wings in various restaurants/pubs that have felt crispy despite having sauce on them. Maybe it is just my mind playing tricks with me since I haven't been to a bar in almost a year now due to stupid Covid?
Agree. Once you toss your wings in sauce, you have 10-15 minutes of perfect crispy/saucy euphoria before old-age begins to set in. An establishment that respects their wings will sauce them just before they are sent to your table. The first time I ordered wings to-go from my favorite wing bar, they died on the ride home.

Jeff

Back