Question about grate height on newer 22" kettles

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I was at Lowes today and lifted the lid on a 22" bronze Premium Weber grill.
The main cook grate is recessed more than any I've seen. Are they all like this now, and if so, is the distance cook grate to charcoal grate different?
PS, no SmokeFires to be found, only Pit Boss pellet grills.

1617118939130.png

My 2020 blue MT is like that. The medium vortex nearly touches the underside of the cooking grate.
F20028CB-1880-4448-B751-49955910B086.jpeg

It also came the second rack. I thought only MTs came with the second rack.

I bought a performer in October and the cooking grill is about a half in down from the edge of the kettle.
It is my first Weber so I jus thought it has always been that way. Lets get some pics up for comparison.

I am not a home but I feel mine is down about the same as yours.
I might be missing what I am supposed to be seeing in the first picture....???
I just can't see how far down that grate is I guess.....the depth of it against the black bowl is hard for me to see.....

Not the best pic, but you can see it's not far down from the lip.
I’m still seeing that the nut for the lid bail is above the mid-height point between the grate surface and the lip. That’s the same as any other modern 22 that I’ve ever seen.

My 06 OTG and 012 performer are roughly 2" down.
Mine too.
I'm currently grilling a pork chop, and mine is lower than I remembered. Not that you can tell in the pic below.
I think the shiny new grate made it look recessed more than it was.
Kindly disregard this post. ;)

1617137216006.png

Yea that shiny new stuff gives us that some timers, as in I don't remember that some time ago.
Every time I pick up a new lid I swear they are making them lighter, but its just the lack of built on BBQ qunk that changes the feel.

Back