Question about Genesis E-310 Renovation

Dave Maze

TVWBB Member
So the backs of the blue doors on this grill I have been working on have rust at the bottom. One of them closes well (ironically the side that is missing the magnet), while the other one closes but swings open when being moved because there is no metal to cling to the magnet. So my thought was maybe I can somehow swap the black and blue sides of the doors since the black door backs are in great shape with no rust. I just don't want to start bending stuff trying to get them out and ruin them. Anyone ever tried anything like that before? I mean, I could sell it like it is now, but if I could put those blue fronts on the other backs it would make it a lot nicer. Here are the pictures. Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• Inside Cabinet Door Rust.jpg
    Inside Cabinet Door Rust.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Outside Cabinet Doors.jpg
    Outside Cabinet Doors.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Spare Door Backs Fronts are Black.jpg
    Spare Door Backs Fronts are Black.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Black Fronts of Spare Doors.jpg
    Black Fronts of Spare Doors.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 16
I'll let others chime in on the possibility of swapping the blue door faces with the black ones...I've never tried that.

One thing I'd do with those rusty doors is clean them really well. Tape off the chrome trim, then spray that inside cabinet facing side of the door with a Rust Converter product. Then put a coat of grey Rustoleum over that for a more finished look. "Farm Equipment Massey Ferguson Gray Enamel Spray Paint" is a nice color that is similar to the factory cabinet color, but not exact match.

You could also JB Weld some thin magnets to the doors after you get the Rust Converter sprayed on there. I've used these before on an E310:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JBRJXDY/?tag=TVWB-20

Swapping the blue fronts with the black fronts would be the way to go though, if that's possible.

I'll let others chime in on the possibility of swapping the blue door faces with the black ones...I've never tried that.

One thing I'd do with those rusty doors is clean them really well. Tape off the chrome trim, then spray that inside cabinet facing side of the door with a Rust Converter product. Then put a coat of grey Rustoleum over that for a more finished look. "Farm Equipment Massey Ferguson Gray Enamel Spray Paint" is a nice color that is similar to the factory cabinet color, but not exact match.

You could also JB Weld some thin magnets to the doors after you get the Rust Converter sprayed on there. I've used these before on an E310:

Swapping the blue fronts with the black fronts would be the way to go though, if that's possible.
Great ideas Kyle, thanks!

Can't really swap those easily, the front and back panels are fused together
That's kind of what I was afraid of...thanks Ralph. I'll probably end up either doing what Kyle suggested above or try gluing a piece of thin sheet metal over the inside somehow.

Just ordered some of those magnets. Thanks again Kyle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JBRJXDY/?tag=tvwb-20

Sold for $250 after the magnets and just sanding the rust down some. He didn't seem to mind since it's not visible from the outside. Thanks again!

Sold for $250 after the magnets and just sanding the rust down some. He didn't seem to mind since it's not visible from the outside. Thanks again!
Nice! Some people are really picky, but I've sold a few rough looking grills expecting the person to talk me down a little, but they just hand me the cash and load it up. They don't care at all.

Nice! Some people are really picky, but I've sold a few rough looking grills expecting the person to talk me down a little, but they just hand me the cash and load it up. They don't care at all.
Yeah I think he just really liked that blue. Plus the burners and grates were in really good shape. Flavorizers...not so much :ROFLMAO:

Back