Question about cooking grate life and possible repair

gerry dalton

I am the owner of a four year old Weber Spirit 320 Gas BBQ.
It gets typical domestic use - say used once/twice per week. It is well protected - no rust.
Recently I noticed that one of the welds on one of the cooking grates (porcelain enamel - part no. 7525) has broken.
So one of the splines is only attached at one end.
I was disappointed that this has happened but Weber tell me there's only a 3 year guarantee on the grate.
A new grate costs $83 (yes, I know they are less expensive in the USA!!)
My question please:
Am I being unreasonable? Is that a typical lifespan for a cooking grate?
Second question:
Anyone know if such a grate type would take a weld repair?

Ger.

I am about 3.5 years in with mine and I figure I will get about 3 more before rust is a problem. Mine are the thick porcelain enameled cast iron and are warranted for 5 years. As for welding, the cast iron does not have good weld ability and will turn very brittle(crack). Have you checked the price on amazon to see if it is any better? Good luck and sorry about your issue.

Gerry - Hate to say it, but you might have to just purchase new grates. The Spirit line is Weber's economy line and as such - quality won't be the same.
It's either a pay now (higher line grill) or pay later (replacement parts)

Thank you for your response.
Just looked at Amazon and I can get two grates for USD$40 - with free shipping to a US address!!! :)
Guess it's time to lean on my friends living in the USA.
They could put 'em in a suitcase on their next visit to Ireland.
Take care
Ger.

The grates on the Spirit are porcelain covered steel. The grates on the higher line grills are porcelain enameled cast iron.
If the steel is in good condition on your grates you might get by with welding them but the're not going to last long after that before they rust apart. Better off to just replace them. I would get stainless grates for it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEMG4W/?tag=TVWB-20

a couple of tack welds should do it for a while. make sire that you oil the grates after each use. remember that the main thing used in cooks is salt.

Thank you again to all who replied.
Yes, have learned that I can replace the grates with stainless steel ones (7527) - which I will do.
So plan is to order them for delivery in USA (and later transfer home!!)
In the meantime will look at a tack weld.
Tip about oiling is well taken - have never done that.

Advice and guidance much appreciated.

Ger

Get on to Ebay and grab a set of SS rod type grates he makes some really nice stuff look for RCPlanebuyer

Back