Quality problems with replacement Genesis lids - am I being too picky? (Rust spots out of the box!)

Gillian Webb

I'm working on a 2005 Genesis Platinum C. The original lid has the inevitable inner heatshield rust through, and the outer shell has clearly been through multiple hailstorms, so I asked for a warranty replacement and Weber sent one out, no problem. It's black porcelain of course; for a grill that's old enough to drive, I'm just happy they haven't cut warranty parts off.

The problem is.. the new lid arrived with multiple chips in the inner porcelain, around the bolts holding the sides on and some of the inner edges. I sent pictures to Weber and they sent out another replacement lid. It arrived today and.. same problem. Is it just normal now to have multiple spots of bare steel and flaking porcelain, and see rust spots in a brand new lid straight out of the box? I wouldn't think so, but dang their quality has been going downhill if this is any indication. Should I go back and ask for a third attempt at sending me an intact part? Or is this as good as it gets and I need to open it up and seal the porcelain failure spots up with that high-temp silicone used to caulk smokers?

Would the chips be covered by an end cap or some other piece of trim? I'll admit, I'm a bit confused...a 2005 Platinum C should be a SS hood, I thought, but you said it's black.

Not surprising, but they will keep sending you another if you ask for it. I submitted a warranty claim about my new performer lid, they sent a replacement with the exact same issue, as well as other flaws that make me think they send out ‘factory seconds’ as warranty replacements.
My suggestion, enjoy a bunch of chicken cooked on it. I’m thinking wings, then quarters, a whole bird over indirect heat. The fat and oils will coat the entire interior and eventually season it to where it won’t rust:cool:

Not surprising, but they will keep sending you another if you ask for it. I submitted a warranty claim about my new performer lid, they sent a replacement with the exact same issue, as well as other flaws that make me think they send out ‘factory seconds’ as warranty replacements.
My suggestion, enjoy a bunch of chicken cooked on it. I’m thinking wings, then quarters, a whole bird over indirect heat. The fat and oils will coat the entire interior and eventually season it to where it won’t rust:cool:
I wonder if it's NOS (New/Old Stock) that's been sitting in a warehouse for years, and once the inventory runs out it will be OOS.

The original was SS, but the only warranty replacements available anymore for any of the sidewinders is black porcelain. Seems that Weber has standardized on only those lids for anything warranty on the older grills.

And no, it's not covered by anything. Here are the pictures - I should have included on my original post now that I think about it. This is a brand new hood, mounted on the grill to get pictures but it's never been cooked with. I haven't taken photos of the second replacement yet but it had similar damage straight out of the box.

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_193117082.jpg
    PXL_20210910_193117082.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20210910_193107326.jpg
    PXL_20210910_193107326.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20210910_193101961.jpg
    PXL_20210910_193101961.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 21
I think, if I were in your shoes, that after 2 replacement lids with the same problems, I would figure that's about as good as it's going to get and make do. The grill is 16 years old, after all. Just my opinion.

I think, if I were in your shoes, that after 2 replacement lids with the same problems, I would figure that's about as good as it's going to get and make do. The grill is 16 years old, after all. Just my opinion.
Exactly, they are just sending you what they have left. After you cook with it for awhile those chips will be fully protected by grease and carbon buildup anyway. As long as the outside looks good, I would probably let it go.

From the Weber website, as it relates to the porcelain on kettles, I'd assume it's similar for any porcelain coated part:

Depending on the model kettle, it's not uncommon to notice a bit of the black porcelain undercoat or a bare spot in certain areas.

All of the following is considered normal.

1. Black porcelain undercoat along the edges of the lid or bowl - color kettles
  2. Black porcelain undercoat near where the bowl handle is welded on - color kettles
  3. Bare spot along the edges of the leg coupling or ash catcher brackets - all kettles
Seeing the black porcelain undercoat in certain locations happens because each lid and bowl has the porcelain enamel powder sprayed on by hand in our manufacturing facilities.

mceclip1.png

This means that every lid and bowl have their own unique characteristics, and no two kettles are exactly the same. Seeing a little bit of the black undercoat here and there, or minor dimples and dots are normal, and no cause for concern.

The reason you may see a bare spot along the edges of leg coupling or ash catcher brackets is because each bowl rests upon those points during the manufacturing process.

leg_coupling_manufacturing_process.jpg

If, however, the porcelain enamel is chipped, scratched, or otherwise damaged in a location other than the ones mentioned above, then replacing the lid or bowl maybe necessary, and you can reach our consumer care team here or at 1-800-446-1071.

Back