Q3200 versus Spirt 310/320

PeterSmith

Hi

After many years with low end BBQ's looking at upgrading to a Weber.
Here in New Zealand we have a range that includes the Q series and the Spirit series. (suspect its not the full range)

What I am trying to decide between is a either a Q3200 or a Spirit E310 (or 320)

My needs are
- doesn't have to be portable
- ideally be able to cook for up to 8 or so (but mostly 3-4 max)
- something easyish to look after/clean
- will last for a number of years

From checking it seems that Q3200 may be ideal but there again the E310 or E320 (I don't need the extra burner on the side so E310 would do) would also be appropriate or even better perhaps

- the Q3200 has a limited 5 year warranty but the E310 has a 25 year limited warranty. Is it made that much better.
- the PCI grills that both seem to have - do they rust in time, even if you are really careful in cleaning them etc?
- the E310 had flavour enhancer tubes? or something like that - do these make a major difference
- is the Q3200 much easier to maintain than the E310
- is the overall cooking area on the E310 much greater then the 3200 .. they don't look hugely different
- the Spirit range is still the 'entry' level ... will it last fro a decent amount of time?

Would appreciate any feedback or input here! The 3200 is on special over Christmas - around $800 NZD compared to $1300 for the E310 (and $1500 for the E320) and while I would pay the extra for the E310 I would like to understand if its really worthwhile for me.

- thanks

Last edited:
I have never cooked on a 3200 but I think you will miss the extra space of the 310. My take on the 3200 is the target user is a camper or someone who needs a portable grill for travel to multiple locations.

If it's affordable for you I would definitely go with the Spirit 310. You will never be sorry you went with the larger grill.

The flavorizer bars do a couple of things; They protect the burners from dripping, etc. and they add flavor when drippings hit them and get vaporized/burned up. They are a replacement for the lava rocks, etc. that were in older style grills from various manufactures.

I'd go with the Spirit. I have an old genesis but I'd like to find a 3200 (or q300).

Helpful?

:p

The paint in Q series don't last. Both my Q200 and Q300 paint peeled off after couple years. If you can effort, go with stainless steel grate, flavorbar, and burner so no need to deal with replace part every few years.

I have a "Q" Weber BBQ, I hate that thing and would throw it away if I had a Spirit or a Genesis (I'm hoping to buy the Genesis in a couple years)

F16C72A0-1E06-47C7-B204-F4E83DEFBC4B_zpsu3iy1hi0.jpg

The exhaust on the Q's dump out the sides and get all over the tables, it has a low ceiling, vertical cooking is all but impossible and forget indirect cooking. I have the little Q too, it I like, but it's for camping and that's the only reason I have it and like it. Unfortunately my bride thought that since I liked it, I would like the "big Q"

I still love her, but I hate the BBQ - don't get it, you'll hate it too

Jebus, Chuck, Light a little fire already, wood ya?

(I bet those paper towels would burn) ;p

Thanks for all the feedback.

Seems that I would be better pursuing the Spirit rather than the Q series.. which is kinda what I had guessed....

Nothing wrong with either one. Analyze the type of cooking you'll do/want to do and go for it. Nice thing is in your part of the world it looks like you can get a rotisserie for the "Q" series. So really unless you want to do very tall items there is no reason to not get the "Q". Frankly it's a well made and designed piece and other than a beer can chicken (which imo is a waste of time and beer) can do anything it's big brothers can do. Good luck on it!

Back