Q300 FREE REBUILD

PatrickG

TVWBB Super Fan
hello fellow Qers i picked up this grill a couple of weeks ago the guy wanted $25.00 then texed me back and said he dropped one of the grates and broke it so i could have it for free good thing i had a set of grates in the rebuild parts pile with a lot of cleaning i think it came out pretty good i painted the hood with rustoliam red 900 degree caliper paint

Attachments

• P1070294 (1).JPG
    P1070294 (1).JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1070300 (1).JPG
    P1070300 (1).JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 34
  • P1070302.JPG
    P1070302.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 31
  • P1070313.JPG
    P1070313.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 33
  • P1070314.JPG
    P1070314.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1070315.JPG
    P1070315.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P1070398.JPG
    P1070398.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 45
Great job on the rebuild at a great price!
On the last pic I see two other Qs in the process of being rebuilt. May I ask are you making a big profit on this? I never see any deals on Qs here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Maybe my timing is off or I'm not looking in the right places (FB Marketplace, Craigslist)
I love my 10 year old Q220, I would think it would be a great side hustle to flip Qs as I totally stand behind this line of Webers

Walt, I have flipped several Q's. But, the profit margin is pretty thin. The Q3xx grills are a better option than the smaller ones but still more of a hobby than a money making activity. The real key is finding ones that don't need new burners or especially new cooking grates, which is tough.

Can't beat that deal! More importantly, you did a great job making it look very nice. Red caliper is a good color for the big Q.

I will wait along with Bruce to see what it can do in action!:coolkettle:

Hey Patrick I am restoring a Q that has a similar looking grate as yours. Mine also has rust in the same spot. I wire wheeled it down and I guess the next step is to season it......What did u do to yours before u started cooking amazing food on it?

Hey Patrick I am restoring a Q that has a similar looking grate as yours. Mine also has rust in the same spot. I wire wheeled it down and I guess the next step is to season it......What did u do to yours before u started cooking amazing food on it?
After wire wheeling, clean with Simple Green, then oil it up and cook away....and keep it oiled up to prevent further rusting

5W30 of any brand is fine, just make sure it is full synthetic.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Yah, I think any vegetable, canola, olive, corn, safflower oil is fine. But it has to be Wesson brand and only from a glass container.
Sorry, I couldn't resist the glass container part.

Ha.....no worries :) ....I know its kind of a no brainer kind of question anyway. I am not much of a chef.....so I have never seasoned a cast iron skillet or cast iron grates. I have watched a few youtube vids on this and the guys go to crazy extremes to season their grates....from old and rusty to looking fantastic and sealed with a black non stick surface. I just dont have the time to spend hours with my grill on high heat oiling every 15 min like in those vids. But I get what you are saying....I will be fine wire wheelin....cleanin'.......then oil of my choice high heat several coats and all should be good to flip the grill with what used to be just a lil rusty.....grates.

Jim, that is why I went with solid rod Stainless Steel grates on my personal grill. Very low maintenance.

For CI grates on a flip, I would just kick off the rust and coat them once good, burn them in and maybe one more light coat and put it on the market.

Thanks very much.......it was the rust that concerned me........but I wheeled the rust away.....and will coat top and bottom with oil and do a couple of quick burn ins. I wont be asking much for this Q200......I have spent a little time getting it nice and clean but without a stand these grills are only good for about $75 to $100.....unless of course I buy new grates for it and thats not going to happen with this flipper.

Back