Q fuel question

Sid - Georgia

Seriously looking at a Q grill and would like some advice. How do the small tanks work? I use the larger tanks at other place and looks like you can get hose to connect those to the Q. Will be using at townhome for generally 2 people (occasionally 4), probably about 4-5 nights a week. Mostly breast, chops, burgers, steaks and fish. Thinking about the 1200 or 2200 model. Will need small rolling table/cart to move back and forth from garage (15 ft) when I use. For those who use their Q a lot, are the smaller tanks an inconvenience? All suggestions appreciated!

Seriously looking at a Q grill and would like some advice. How do the small tanks work? I use the larger tanks at other place and looks like you can get hose to connect those to the Q. Will be using at townhome for generally 2 people (occasionally 4), probably about 4-5 nights a week. Mostly breast, chops, burgers, steaks and fish. Thinking about the 1200 or 2200 model. Will need small rolling table/cart to move back and forth from garage (15 ft) when I use. For those who use their Q a lot, are the smaller tanks an inconvenience? All suggestions appreciated!
Hi Sid, Make sure your Homeowners association allows propane grills first.

The 1200/2200 Q's are fuel efficient so you could get by with 1lb tanks. The cost is the issue in my opinion if you plan to use the grill a lot. 1lb tanks of propane cost about $3 to $4 per pound of propane assuming you are not filling them from a big tank yourself.

For a 20Lb propane tank the propane cost works out to about $1 per pound of propane if you have a 20lb tank. The tank itself can cost up to $30 empty new or close to $50 full new. If you have a 20lb tank Blue Rhino or Amerigas tank exchanges work out good if you like.

A Weber cart or a rolling table would be best regardless of your tank choice. The Qs are portable however they are grills with grease that can ruin clothes

Thanks. Is it reasonably safe and simply to refill from 20lb tank?
I would have to say that it is not safe and definitely not recommended but people still do it. There is no overfill prevention device on the one-way cylinders so there is a chance that, if overfilled, liquid propane could come gushing out when you turn the valve on which, if ignited, could cause a huge fireball. Also, all compressed gas cylinders expand and contract when filled and emptied, and over time that causes metal fatigue, which is why all compressed gas cylinders need to be inspected and re-certified periodically. One-way bottles were never intended for refilling so potentially could explode if refilled often. So there are some significant risks involved...you have to decide if it's worth it.

I have refilled the 1lb tanks and it works, but for me, it just isn't worth the hassle unless you need a highly portable grill. But, you will find that those 1lb tanks don't last all that long and they ALWAYS run out in the middle of your cook not to mention that it is very costly compared to bulk tanks. You can get a simple adapter hose to run it off a 20lb tank and if you want to take it to a picnic or tailgate, you can always switch back to the 1lb tanks. But if you are grilling on it 4-5 times a week, you will get tired of installing new 1lb tanks pretty fast, even if you refill them yourself.
The regulators on Q grills seem to have a lot of issues and I have converted several over by removing the Q grill regulator and patching in a regular hose and regulator that has the QCC1 (Acme) connector for the bulk tanks. But, once you do that, you are stuck with bulk tanks. If you go with the adapter hose route, just make sure you buy the shortest one that will work for you. The longer they are, the more chance you have of setting off the safety valve in the regulator which restricts flow of gas when tripped.

I’ve purchased the Q2200 and think it will be great for what I need. I’ll use a 20 pound tank to avoid challenges of the small portable tanks. My talented son in law is going to build me a rolling cart/table for the grill and tank. My question for those that have used Q grills for a while is, are the built in side tables sufficient for your grilling or would it be nice to have a larger surface under the grill for some addition work space?

I suggest that you go with added shelf space on the custom cart as long as you are at it. The Q shelves are not real big and not all that solid.

Hi Sid,
With the 220 size you made a good choice going with the large 20 lbs tank. The side tables are ok for holding smaller low weight items, but if your son-in-law is building a cart, would be wise to build in some extra shelf space.

Back