Pulled/shredded chicken ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Had a pulled or shredded chicken sanwich last night at a fundraiser for the local fire dept.

The chicken meat all dark, was pulled very very fine.

I know if you stir Pulled pork enough it gets very fine strands. didn't think you could do the same with chicken. i usually just pull leftover chicken thighs into small pieces but never like this was.

Am I missing something, is there a secret to getting the chicken texture in fine strands if you will.

My family like this texture of the chicken,

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I wanna know this aswell!. Normaly my whole chickens is taken @ 175(breast temp).

@ What temp do you pull it? and so on?

John was it all smoked or braised aswell?

The only time I have had success pulling/shredding chicken is by poaching it in water....so this is a great question! Can't wait to hear an answer!

The July 2006 issue of Cook's Illustrated has recipes for Pulled Chicken for the Gas or Charcoal Grill. It is also on their website (pay to join). Your library might have old copies of the magazine if you are not a website member. They smoke-grill leg quarters at 325°.

This is essentially how they finish the pulling:

They separate the smaller, drier pieces of meat from the larger ones into 2 equal piles. They pulse the smaller pieces in a food processor, then put it into a saucepan. Then they use forks to pull larger meat pieces into long shreds and add those to the saucepan, adding a splash of cider vinegar, and heat gently. Just before serving, they add hot sauce, serve, and pass their BBQ sauce; their method has an interesting approach.

--- Tim just posted a good variation for the WSM of the Cook's recipe while I was readying my reply here. America's Test Kitchen is the umbrella group for Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country.

Rita

I'm thinking it might have been braised.

It seams to me in "my" experience with cooking chicken, that as tender as it gets smoking it, it still might get alittle more tender if braised properly ?

Although cooking it low and slow it kinda falls apart as well.

It seamed to be a combination of being pulsed in a food processor and carefully shredded with forks. There were pleanty of longer fine strands of meat and some smaller fine pieces mixed in.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Yea, I agree with you John.
We make this quite often, and while my wife does a lot better of a job then me using forks to shred the meat, letting it braise in a crock pot or oven makes the texture even more finely shredded.

Tim

Back