Pulled Pork Tamales

CLasko

TVWBB Pro
Had some leftover pulled pork in freezer from some butts I smoked for Super Bowl. I've always loved and have wanted to try making tamales, but a bbq sauce version. I woman I work with gave me her way of making the masa which includes pre-made masa dough, and just jazzing it up with chicken stock, some salt, and baking powder. I made 60...30 with a sweet bbq sauce and 30 with a spicy bbq sauce. Taking a steam now. Figure I'll plate with a drizzle of sauce. We'll see how they turn out.

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

that's awesome. I'm going to have to try these!

My cousin took me to a place a year or so back called Tamales Tita - they have 2 tamales with rice & beans for like $5, plus to go orders..... they have a lot of variety.

I've seen the stuff to make them at the store or carneceria, I'll have to grab it next time.....

Oh my those look absolutely heavenly! Kim and I have considered pulled pork won tons for a long time to use the extra meat. I think your idea is much better. Nice job!!

Finished and plated...with some bbq sauce ...that looks like a foot imprint. Haha so much for being fancy. They came out awesome. Have bag in the fridge and a bag in the freezer. Definitely something I'd do with leftovers again.

Nice work, I've got to try that. I've made pulled pork enchiladas which turned out great, but not tamales

I get the feeling that we're going to be seeing more of those around here!

lol about your fancy bbq sauce pattern on the plate

I stopped at the Mexican market yesterday & picked up a tamale pot, 3# of the corn flour or whatever, & husks. It was fun practicing my poor Spanish, & the cashier told me that tamales weren't from Mexico, but Venezuela (was trying to tell her how much I love cooking Mexican food).

Nice looking tamales. I made about 270 of them at Christmas time for friends, coworkers, etc. My mom grew up in Mexico and taught me her ways......I actually go to several different Hispanic grocery stores for the components for the perfect masa, because I like certain things at each one. This year I bought some fresh lard (looked and smelled like thick brown gravy) and that made the masa almost silky in texture. Anyways, now that I'm drooling, yours look good :)

Like Rich said making tamales is going on the list to do real soon. It's been a very long time since we made them.

Back