Pulled pork for 200

TroyN

I have offered to help a friend make pulled pork for a wedding. They are expecting around 200 people. How much pulled pork do you figure per person and what do you estimate for yield on a pork butt?

Thanks for your help.

I'd figure for about 6 oz. per sandwich (more if it's going to be a lot). Not quite sure on how much yield out of a given pork butt, but it's not that hard to feed a 18-20 off a single one.

There's a number of factors that will come into play. Is PP the only protein ? How many sides? Will the guests be grabbing it themselves, or will someone be serving/portioning it ?

Will the guests be grabbing it themselves, or will someone be serving/portioning it ?

Don't underestimate this issue or you will get burned. I've seen people "serve" themselves before and it gets really ugly really fast as people pile on their plates. Ick.

I would certainly recommend having somebody serve food for you. It will be easier and alleviate many issues.

Don't underestimate this issue or you will get burned. I've seen people "serve" themselves before and it gets really ugly really fast as people pile on their plates. Ick.

I would certainly recommend having somebody serve food for you. It will be easier and alleviate many issues.
Best advice so far.

6 oz cooked/person (think this is a bit much--consider Mickey D quarter pounder is 1/4 lb raw meat) = 12oz raw X 200 people = 150 lb raw butt.
4 oz cooked/person = 8 oz raw X 200 people = 100 lb raw which I think is more realistic.

This is for boneless butt. If you get bone-in (more flavourful IMO), I'd add 8-10% to the raw weight purchased.

Last edited:
Best advice so far.!
6 oz cooked/person (think this is a bit much--consider Mickey D quarter pounder is 1/4 lb raw meat) = 12oz raw X 200 people = 150 lb raw butt.
4 oz cooked/person = 8 oz raw X 200 people = 100 lb raw which I think is more realistic.

This is for boneless butt. If you get bone-in (more flavourful IMO), I'd add 8-10% to the raw weight purchased.

Sorry but had to comment. a 1/4lb raw weight burger patty is not 12oz, 1lb is 16oz, so 1/4lb= 4oz. Never the less, I agree on the 100lbs raw weight of pork butt. I always cook bone in and I always go with about 1/2lb per person raw weight, but it doesn't hurt to add a couple more butts. Probably lookin at 12-14 butts. Good luck with the wedding and enjoy

Last edited:
Sorry but had to comment. a 1/4lb raw weight burger patty is not 12oz, 1lb is 16oz, so 1/4lb= 4oz. Never the less, I agree on the 100lbs raw weight of pork butt. I always cook bone in and I always go with about 1/2lb per person raw weight, but it doesn't hurt to add a couple more butts. Probably lookin at 12-14 butts. Good luck with the wedding and enjoy

You're mixing up two different calculations that I offered in that post.

Back