Proper Set Up of WSM

RickG

While I am not a new WSM user, I have long had this question in my mind whenever I use mine.
What is the proper positioning of the bottom unit, the access door, and the lid vent in relation to each other?
Or does it really matter. My typical set up is one leg facing front, access door immediately above that, and the lid vent to the back.
TIA.

Typically I set it up so that one of the bottom dampers is directly below the lid handle. This puts the top vent in between the other two bottom dampers, which my pea brain thinks optimizes air/smoke flow. This is especially true when I'm just using the one bottom damper with my Cyber-Q. :) The positioning of the access door is immaterial to function of the smoker, and should be wherever it is most convenient for you to access it if you need to mid-cook.

R

Access door facing forward. One bottom vent directly below the door so vents are at 10, 2, and 6 o’clock so I never have to go all the way behind the cooker to get to a vent (space can be a little tight sometimes). I usually put the lid on with the thermometer facing forward, lined up with the door. Sometimes I turn it 180 degrees so I can hit it with a flashlight and read it at night. I don’t lid direction matters otherwise.

For me, door facing forward. (I never open the door, so this is just to keep the handles on the midsection at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, plus it satisfies my OCD :)) One vent directly below the door (the vent that has the adapter for my Stoker fan). The other two vents remain fully closed at all times, so access to them is not material. Lid vent to the back (180 degrees from the door). Thermometer lead(s) exit under the lid on the left side, which is where I always place the Stoker control box.

Frankly I don't think it matters, but for convenience I keep one bottom vent forward, and the others are then towards the back, but not behind the unit, strictly to be able to reach them easier.

I set mine up exactly as Chris stated above, however, if the wind is coming from the direction of the lid vent I will rotate the lid around to keep the lid vent out of the direct wind.

Back