Problem with gas on performer

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
My 2010 performer is acting up lately. When I get the flame lit, it makes a whistling noise of sorts and then goes out fairly quickly. It seems as if it isn't getting enough propane. I have a 20# tank attached and tried it with a small disposable tank as well. It happens with both, although it seems more problematic with the big tank. This leads me to think it could be the regulator on the performer.

I have cleaned the ignition tube and burner with compressed air and don't think there is any blockage there.

Any tips on how to check the regulator or other ideas on what could be causing this?

EDIT: When the flame goes out, it appears to get sucked back towards the gas line and fire comes out where the red circle is drawn.

Last edited:
My 90's Performer gas assist starter makes the same sound when I am using it, but it seems if I let it run some, the whistling stops. I fiddle with the gas knob also, but not sure if that helps stop the noise or not.

Spiders? Take the clip off and check the tube.

I have taken the clip off and cleaned everything. I disconnected the regulator hose from the regulator and blew compressed air through that as well. The only thing I can think of is that the regulator isn't providing enough pressure.

The Weber part is $47 which is ridiculous. Hoping there is some workaround.

Update - I found a weber regulator online at allpartsgrills for $33 shipped. I got that in yesterday and put it on and problems solved. Can't believe how powerful the flame is now. I must have had a failing regulator for some time.

Same problem - safety hazard

EDIT: When the flame goes out, it appears to get sucked back towards the gas line and fire comes out where the red circle is drawn.

Same problem with my Performer. Flames remain burning in orifice where hose connects to burner assembly. Knob does not shutoff gas. It does shut off the burners in the kettle but the flame remains in the orifice. The knob does not have a "hard" closed position. Why doesn't Weber have this part - and many others- available at there site? Looking for 3rd party parts seller and hoping I find parts of better quality than OEM.

Back