Prime rib eye cap steak from Costco.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Anyone try these? How did they compare to a rib eye?
The marbling was insane so I had to grab a 3 pack. I vac sealed them and didn’t take pics, pulled one out of the freezer just now for a pic.

341ED1D3-1962-4058-B2AA-CD8F5E445CA6.jpeg

The prime ribeye cap steak also known as the spinalis dorsi is a very well marbled cut which adds for a juicy steak also very forgiving cooked at high heat and should be as tender as a ribeye or better. The only difference between the ribeye cap steaks you have Bruno and the ribeye cap steak in the video is yours are rolled up probably tied with a string to maintain the round shape .

Last edited:
I bought them a couple of times now.
generally really good, but it seems like they leave a lot of silver skin.
A good deal, as they are priced the same as the eye.

Oh yes, they are insanely good.

The only difference between the ribeye cap steaks you have Bruno and the ribeye cap steak in the video is yours are rolled up probably tied with a string to maintain the round shape.
I watched a segment on Food Network where a chef had a whole Wagyu spinalis dorsi from Snake River Farms. He butterflied it starting at the thick edge, opened it up flat like an open book, slathered something on the top side I think, rolled it starting from one edge, tied it and cut it into rounds like Costco sells. Looked really good.

A favorite of ours as well. I just do them reverse sear using whatever grill/oven or sometimes cast iron pan to finish. They are very rich. The wife and I usually split one but I have been known to solo one when shes out of town.

I have bought those at Costco but while great flavor I think the cutters at Costco don't bother with trimming them properly so mine had lots of silver skin and sinew left in making for a not so pleasant eating experience. Maybe on my next primal purchase of a rib cut I will try butchering it out like he did

I have bought those at Costco but while great flavor I think the cutters at Costco don't bother with trimming them properly so mine had lots of silver skin and sinew left in making for a not so pleasant eating experience. Maybe on my next primal purchase of a rib cut I will try butchering it out like he did
They are pretty big so I think I’ll untie them before I cook and try to look for anything unappealing to trim off.
Thanks

I watched a segment on Food Network where a chef had a whole Wagyu spinalis dorsi from Snake River Farms. He butterflied it starting at the thick edge, opened it up flat like an open book, slathered something on the top side I think, rolled it starting from one edge, tied it and cut it into rounds like Costco sells. Looked really good.

I saw that episode too. It did look amazing. It is served at a restaurant called The Salt and Char in Saratoga Springs, NY. From the menu: 7oz Wagyu Cap Steak | 85. Here is a photo:Steak.jpg

I've bought them a couple of times from Costco. Our Costco seems to trim them up pretty well, no signs of silver skin or such. Cooked them sous-vide, then seared over charcoal. Out-darn-standing. These made my dear wife a believer in buying prime grade meat, especially with some of the deals at Costco.

I've bought them a couple of times from Costco. Our Costco seems to trim them up pretty well, no signs of silver skin or such. Cooked them sous-vide, then seared over charcoal. Out-darn-standing. These made my dear wife a believer in buying prime grade meat, especially with some of the deals at Costco.
👍🏻👍🏻 Nice!!! Can’t wait until next weekend.

We’ve probably had them from Costco three or four times and they’ve always been incredible. Luckily none of the trimming issues others have experienced. In fact, we have one in the deep freeze right now. We usually treat them just like a ribeye. I’ll second the descriptive “decadent”🍻

We’ve probably had them from Costco three or four times and they’ve always been incredible. Luckily none of the trimming issues others have experienced. In fact, we have one in the deep freeze right now. We usually treat them just like a ribeye. I’ll second the descriptive “decadent”🍻
We’re going to try them again tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Had one last night and had no issues. it was very good.
Maybe they have an apprentice working some days?

Back