Prime Beef Short Ribs from Creekstone Farms

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I received these from Creekstone Farms a couple of weeks ago while they were on sale. I've been waiting for a good day to fire up the WSM and yesterday was the day. There were two racks, four bones each. I pulled what I thought was the nicer of the two racks and resealed the other. I was undecided on trimming and read Chris's write up in the Bullet on beef short ribs and trimmed a pretty decent fat cap and removed the silver skin beneath. I rubbed the rack with Harry Soo's Moola Beef Rub. I stabilized my 18" WSM at 250 and used three nice hunks of pecan for the smoke. After getting the rack on the smoker I let it roll for around 4 hours without pulling the lid. I wish now I had pulled the lid a couple of times to document the progress with photos. Got my first shots at the 4 hour mark. Spritzed with water at that time and continued to do so hourly and probed the meat until I felt little or no resistance. The entire smoke to just under 7 hours and the meat temped out right around 202. My sides were a twice baked potato casserole and some roasted garlic parmesan cauliflower. Here's my pictures.

I kind of got a late start and it was a little hectic starting out. Didn't get a good shot of the ribs before rubbing them down.

DSC_4833 (Large).JPG

After getting them going I got started on my sides. First the twice baked potato casserole.

DSC_4828 (Large).JPG

I baked the russets on the JJ for an hour. Let them cool and then shredded the potatoes. I added a minced onion, chopped parsley, didn't have any fresh dill so I subbed with dried, Mixed and added cheddar, and sour cream.

DSC_4835 (Large).JPG

Placed in my 2 quart dutch oven.

DSC_4839 (Large).JPG

Prepped the cauliflower. Tossed the florets in melted butter and finely chopped garlic. The rolled in seasoned Panko, grated Parmesan salt and pepper. Placed on baking sheet.

DSC_4842 (Large).JPG

Popped the lid and took a look. As previously mentioned I spritzed with water and checked my internal temp at right around 175-178.

DSC_4845 (Large).JPG

DSC_4850 (Large).JPG

Figuring I had about an hour and a half to go I popped the casserole in the Performer.

DSC_4852 (Large).JPG

About 15 minutes later the cauliflower went on.

DSC_4856 (Large).JPG

Another hour and spritz.

DSC_4858 (Large).JPG

Nice and toasty.

DSC_4862 (Large).JPG

Potato casserole too.

DSC_4864 (Large).JPG

After another hour the ribs were done. The slices were nice and juicy, but complete and utter lack of a smoke ring. I'll be dog dipped!!

DSC_4867 (Large).JPG

Plated things up. The meat was incredible. Nice and beefy, moist and most of all tender. Liked Harry's rub too. Hope you all had a great weekend. We sure did.

DSC_4872 (Large).JPG

Looks fantastic, Cliff. Those are perfect plate ribs. Very easy to have a great weekend with that menu.

Man Cliff that is an amazing meal from meat to both sides. I am so excited I just picked up more pecan wood, it is my favorite. The potatoes steal the show for me.

Yeah, those look real good, Cliff! Nothing quite like brisket on a stick! :) I haven't pulled the trigger on Creekstone beef ribs yet, my next adventure will be to Restaurant Depot for some plate ribs......soon, real soon! :)

Nice job!

R

Those ribs look positively spectacular, but I'll be honest; the 'taters and cauliflower are giving them a run for their money. Great meal all around.

Back