Prepping a firebox for painting

EricC

Hi all,

Just found a second hand Genesis S-310 online and have been inspired by this forum to refurb it. So while I'm stuck home on lockdown I get to teach myself a new skill: drilling out a sheared off bolt from the firebox. Yay, learning!

I'm looking at repainting the firebox. It's not too bad, but might as well while everything is in pieces. Reading all the reports on here and it seems as though most people hit up their box with a wire brush on an angle grinder. I don't have and am not likely to get that device. I've scraped it pretty clean with a handheld wire brush, will that be sufficient?

Related note, is there such a thing as a screws, nuts, and bolts parts list, or even a pre-assembled kit of them?

[edit: E-310 corrected to S-310]

Last edited:
Eric: I am thinking an E310 cook box is probably not in such bad shape that you would need to grind it. But if you want to, you can get both the grinder and wire cup brush for $15 at Harbor Freight tools.

Anyway, If you going to paint it, the big thing will be getting rid of all the grease and grime in addition to any loose paint if there is any. Clean it up as best you can, prep it with some 91% or higher rubbing alcohol or Xylol solvent and then spray it with a high temp paint.

FOr the inside, just scrape it as best you can and be done with it. I don't think you will find a "parks kit" anywhere. But most of the bolts and nuts that need replacing are easy to find. Just ask on here for the specific bolts and someone should be able to point you in the right direction. If you register the grill on Weber.com, it will give you the option to download the manual and schematics (Parts list) for the grill.

Make sure you get all the loose paint and carbon off, then the next thing is to clean it with a degreaser, rinse very well, so what ever paint you use will stick to the box. A cleaned and painted fire box would really set off your restore.

You guys are all the best! Thank you!

I purchased the POR-15 Stop Rust Kit to fix up a small little bit of rust on the frame. It has an 8oz bottle of POR-15 Cleaner Degreaser. Do you think that would be sufficient to degrease the box, or does it need a hit with the alcohol still? Following that up directly with paint-on POR-15 Manifold Gray.

Speaking of rust, this is an all-stainless Genny and it has loads of little rust spots here and there. Don't really want to hit them with a black inhibitor. Do you just leave them be? Polish out with 00 to 0000?

Do you have a platinum Genesis with the stainless steel frame?

I believe you should try to remove as much rust as possible before using the por15.

Ah, it turns out it's an S-310. I didn't realize the "E" was "Enamel" and the "S" was "Stainless".

The S model is not completely stainless mine had plain steel floor ,back and sides, plus supports under side shelfs,and backs of the front doors. I sanded ,grown with wire brush wheel all the rust to bare used the cleaner the Por 15. And after that painted those parts the silver gray again . I never had any rust on the stainless parts I just had to buff them out.

Back