Pork steaks, and pork chops

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
Saw a Daniel Vaughan Texas Monthly article about Tootsie’s pork steaks from Snow’s BBQ. Then watched a Harry Soo video about the same. It was interesting how they differed. Daniel said Snow‘s salts the meat overnight, but Harry said Tootsie starts cooking after work on Friday so doesn’t have time to salt ahead. Their versions of the mop sauce differed too.

I Kosher salted the pork steaks in the morning. Hit with fresh cracked black pepper, then put them on the WSM around noon with a small chimney starter of lit Kingsford on top of plenty of unlit and chunks of cherry, post oak, hickory and apple. Vents dialed down, with no water pan, keeping temp around 225-250. Mopped every hour from noon to 5 with a sauce that split the difference between the approaches (H2O, butter, vinegar, worcestershire, dry mustard, onions), then wrapped in pink butcher paper for another hour.

Salted the pork chops an hour ahead. Then hit with Cavender’s Greek Seasoning and put on the top rack of WSM to grill/smoke on the dying embers of the charcoal. Pulled when they were around 160 and had decent color; about 90 minutes.

I was afraid the pork steaks would be dried out after so much time, but they were juicy. I guess the low temp and mop sauce helped.

746CBE74-6F54-477C-A7D4-A8DB3C37B2D2.jpeg5A971B5A-D3B8-4712-B412-D022F03B7906.jpeg

Man, that's a great looking mess of pork, Chris! Looks to be incredibly juicy, with a really nice crust/bark! Thanks for sharing the method!

R

Back