pork steak ?

Louis

TVWBB Fan
Hello fellow WSM user !

I am ready for an all new season of Meat&Fish Smoking on my WSM now that the snow is all gone !

I was looking at the photos and i saw pictures of PORK STEAK, those look great !

But, as always, this cut of meat does not seam to exist around here (aaaaaaa Canada !). Could you please tell me from where it comes in the pork so that i can ask my butcher ...

is it a slice of the shoulder (front) ? leg (back/***) ?

thank you all for your help .. again !

Louis,

As Dave mentions it's a sliced butt. You can buy a boneless butt and slice yourself, or your can buy a bone in butt, debone it, and then slice.

I prefer doing it this way so I can cut them to the size I want, and freeze extra for later.

thank you guys,

unfortunatly, it is notpossible to find butt around here, only the lower part of the shoulder so i'll try with it.

The only time i can find butt is by calling the butchery school and ask for it but it often take a while since they must be teaching the "pork classes" ....

Thanks again

Louis I find them in stores as shoulder chops. It's a pretty common cut here on the Ontario-Quebec border. Do you have a German style butcher anywhere near you? They should have it.

i just asked my local store tu get me one inch thick shoulder steak and he did it for me !

i'll cook them in a few hours and post pictures

anyone know how much time it takes to cook ?? (1 inch thick)

i'm gonna cook them in my WSM at around 250, like ribs or pull pork ...

i want to be able to pull the meat using a fork.

awesome Jim thank you !! i can't wait to taste those steaks !!! and i'll do the onion too
icon_smile.gif

I recently bought a 22" WSM and last weekend fired it up. I looked in the freezer to see what I had to smoke and discovered some Beef Ribs and xtra thick Pork Steaks. Now, I live in the St. Louis area which I believe is where they originally came from so it is very common to see them in the store. I have been eating them about 40 years now and cooking them probably 30 years. I had never smoked them before for some reason and smoked them about 8-9 hours with some apple/plum wood. They turned-out awesome i will say. Most people cook a pork steak wrong, they simply throw it on a grill like a beef steak and think it's done. As a result others turn their nose up at them thinking they are terrible (especially people from other states) A pork steak has to be slow cooked, it is butt. I take the steak and stab a million times with a fork to tenderize it. Next I paint with my favorite marinade (wickers) and then I shake rib rub all over it. Cover that and put in refrigerator overnight. I used to throw on my weber grill with some charcoal/wood then would put in my slow cooker on 200 degrees for about 4 hours. This was always a hit but now I think I'll do the same and just smoke it (instead of the slow cooker) for 8 hours. Point is, marinade & season and slow cook is the key to a good pork steak.

Back