Pork Loin "Fix"

David Willis

TVWBB Member
Smoked a Pork Loin, but I guess the marinade didn't really agree. It was an watermelon-pineapple-jalepeno injection (tastes great), but I think I wasn't supposed to do it overnight. I did this before for 15 minutes or so, just enough time to get the cooker hot, and it came out great, but I just did an overnight marinade and the meat came out was all mushy.

Anyway, the flavor is OK, a bit sweet and a sugar-salt-pepper bark, but the consistency of the meat is a bit unbearable. Any ideas on how to fix this (like a stew or something like that)...

Also, what ingredients/meat combos are a no-no for overnight marinades? I'm thinking the sugar content or maybe the pineapples did me in...

Fresh or frozen pineapple, or its juice, could be your problem. They contain the enzyme bromelain, which is used as a meat tenderizer. Canned pineapple juice (pasteurized) has its protein-denaturing enzyme neutralized by heat. Meat exposed to the active enzyme as long as "overnight" would result in the "mush" you describe.

Exactly, Doug.

This effect is identical to that produced by fresh ginger root grated or cut into your marinade.

You'll know it when you left that ginger/pineapple to long, just as you experienced, because it is noticeably gritty/mushy when you chew it. There is no way to recover this, that I'm aware of (it will still be mushy and weird in a soup or stew...). There is no way to get the protein molecules back together, so I can't imagine there is any further cooking that could fix it, only obscure it (small pieces covered in something??)

If you still like the taste and recipe, just significantly decrease the amount of pineapple juice, or use canned. I have found it is reasonable to do overnight marinades with ginger/fresh pineapple, but you use them carefully. A 10oz can of pineapple juice will demolish a piece of beef tenderloin 2" thick in 24 hours to the point of it mushing when you pinch it with your fingers (don't ask how I know this....). On the other hand, a tablespoon or so in a 12-oz marinade will do a great job of tenderizing.

Back