Pork Cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
Is there a chart or something that I can look at to help me understand the various pork cuts? I'm looking at a grocery flier that has "Whole Pork Shoulder Arm Picnic" on sale for $.79/pound. Is this cut good for pulled pork? Is it more like a ham? Is it even a good cut for the Weber? Then they list a "Portion Pork Shoulder Arm Picnic". What do the different words (picnic for example) signify? I am a newbie when it comes to names of and uses for various cuts. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

TIA.

Here's a URL that might me helpful:

http://www.porkpeople.com/porkcuts.html

Although I've never heard it termed that way, it sounds like they are either selling a whole shoulder or a picnic roast, either of which would be fine for pulled pork.

Whole shoulder makes the BEST pulled pork in my opinion, as long as you have 20 or more hours to wait.

I'd stick to the Boston Butt, Butt or Shoulder roast all names for the same thing. You are looking for the flat shoulder blade bone. The picnic is not as good on it's own. It's all good when cooked whole but the only way you are doing that with a Weber is a small pig and a Ranch Kettle.
HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back