Pork Chops on a Plank with Honey Balsamic Glaze

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Today I did a recipe from the "The Plank Grilling Cookbook". I followed the directions and prepared the Glaze/Marinade and coated the chops and refrigerated for two hours. I had decided to grill some whole onions for one of the sides. My wife had prepared macaroni salad and peas along with a nice salad. I used a chimney of Kingsford original spread evenly over my 22.5" OTG. I preheated a half/plank for the onions and then placed the onions on the plank (after things were up to heat). My wife had cored the onions and applied butter and powdered beef bullion to the cavity. The onions were going to take upwards of an hour, so I started them first.

After the onions were on about half an hour, I preheated the full length plank for the two 1" thick pork chops (bone in). I just shook off the extra marinade and placed them on the cedar plank.

I checked the chops at fifteen minutes and it was obvious that they were going to take longer. When they hit 145 degrees internal, I removed them:

Here they are on a platter:

Here they are plated along with the onion - Ummmm, GOOD!

Thanks for listening...

Dale53

Last edited:
It has been a while since I did anything on planks. You have definitely inspired me to pull out some planks and give it a shot again in the near future because those chops looks awesome.

I've been fascinated by the planks for a while. What flavor does the plank add that I can't/don't get from throwing wood on my coals?? (Basically I'm looking for a justification to try this...not that I really need one! Ha-ha!)

CarrieAnn;

CarrieAnn;
Cooking on a plank adds a subtle smoke flavor (not at all over powering) and seems to hold moisture in the product. It is kind of a "indirect but direct heat"...

If the cook is of short duration, you can immediately retrieve the plank after the food (some serve the food on the hot plank - with care:p), scrape the juices and then scrub under running water (after the plank cools, of course) then use again. When it becomes too charred to salvage, then break it up and use as smoke wood.

It is my preferred way to do Salmon and Steelhead on the grill.

I would like to make one comment, additional. If you haven't yet tried whole onions on the grill, it is a MUST! They are absolutely delicious! I choose Vidalia's when available but any sweet onion will work, as well. Whether you do them on a plank, or on the grill indirect, they rank with the best food around.

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:

Back