Pork Butt with Old Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay J

TVWBB Fan
This weekend I had friends come to town.

I bought a couple of pork butts to do cook for Sunday supper. The friends came Saturday evening and we talked and played until late into the night.

Suddenly it was after midnight, my eyes were blurry and I had yet to start the pork butts. I rummaged through my BBQ cabinet and to my horror, I was nearly out of my favorite pork butt rubs. I was too tired to go to the store for more supplies so I rummaged through my spices and came up with a new container of Old Bay that I use for seafood.

The label on the old bay says "Seafood, poultry, salads, and meat" so I figured, what the heck and slathered one of the butts with it. The other butt got a slather of BRITU rub and they went on the weber.

Well, the next day we pulled them both to seperate pans and proceeded to eat.

It was unanimous that the Old Bay was by far the best, and my family thought it was the best tasting pulled pork I had ever done (and I've done some good butts in the past.)

I think I will try that next time too. I use Old Bay on almost everything already, but never thought about putting it on butts. Why not?

I'm trying it right now on a miniature butt (3.5 lbs). Whoops, let the temps drop overnight, but am back on track now.

I even resisted the temptation to add the turbinado to it. Figured I'd give it a try on its own merits first.

Also trying a brisket in a foil pan, instead of on the ol' grate.

Wonder what that will be like...!

Suzy-Q, thought about doing that foil pan brisket thingy too next time. Will be waiting to see how it turns out for you. If you put HD foil over the pan, is it then considered foiled?? Good luck!!

Curses, foiled again!

Yeah, I would think if you covered it, it would count as foiling it. Mine is not covered, except by the pork butt above.

Susan Z, Did you poke any holes in the bottom of the foil pan to let the grease run out? Can't wait to her how it all turned out.
icon_razz.gif
# 2 rub on the brisket?

Here's a recipe found via a Google search.

Old Bay clone

I haven't tried it so it may or may not be true to the original Old Bay.

I found 24oz containers of it at my local Sam's Club. I use it on most things and even add it to my spice blend that gets used on ribs & butts.

Hey, there's only one Old Bay, so you might as well get it from the store.

Ok, here's how they turned out. Brisket did indeed use the #2 rub again, and I still really like it! Nice. Never occured to me to punch holes in the foil pan (Raichlen didn't do that with his, so neither did I.) Brisket swam there in its own juices (oh, and those from the miniature pork butt above) the whole time. Briskey was fat side up. Never flipper her. It was a wee 4.78 lbs or something, and one end was quite thin, so I folded that part under. Turned out very, very moist (should I be surprised?) and with a wee bit of a smoke ring on the top only. Smallest smoke ring this gal's ever turned out, sniff sniff. BUT...it was mighty tasty! I think if I was in a bind where I could only find a tiny or thin or fatless brisket, I would use the foil pan technique again.

As for the baby butt, I thought the Old Bay did a fair job. I would add the turbinado to it if I did it again, though, cuz for me, I just like that touch of sweetness with my pulled pork. Overall, though,

Always good to try new, fun things with the ol' WSM.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything but Old Bay is sold at just about every grocery store in the country, I would think, it's just as easy to buy some as make your own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Babek:
Wow...not sure its used in Texas? What do you guys put in your crawfish boils down there??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mostly cayenne pepper. But, I do use O.B. after I dump them in the cooler.
Howard

Remember the first time I ate crawfish I used the finger bowl to rinse the green stuff off the tail.LOL. The waiter thought I was nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back