Pork Butt advice

DaleO

TVWBB Member
Heading out this weekend in the RV. I will only have my Jumbo Joe with me. I have a small butt in the Sous Vide now. I need to reheat and smoke at campsite. Shooting for 300°, is it best to use snake method, bank coals to one side or bank on either side and put butt in middle to achieve temp? Done this a few time with WSM, but never with Jumbo Joe.

To be honest I've never tried it. I would lean toward the snake method to maximize space between the fuel and the butt... Snakes also tend to burn at a more stable temperature vs other methods. 300F shouldn't be that hard to do on a hot day with a Jumbo Joe

Bank coals on one side (I've used a Weber charcoal holder too), keep temp LOW, and rotate/flip butt often. The shallow lid can overcook the top, sometimes I'd put a piece of aluminum foil on the side toward the fire and overlap the top a little.

I've done pork butts more times I'd like to admit on the Jumbo Joe from start to finish. Sometimes two butts at a time.

The JJ is a decent size BBQ, and a snake method would work well. I'd stack them two rows high instead of two rows wide, that way you can keep the cook indirect

Back