Porcelain Cast Iron Grates

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
I think I'm leaning towards the Genesis E-325s. Hopefully I'll make up my mind by Memorial Day when grills should go on sale. This grill has the porcelain coated cast iron grates. Do these need any special care to preserve the porcelain?

I have porcelain coated steel grates for my drum smoker and I like to soak them first, then clean with soapy plastic scrubber. I don't want to scratch them.

They are making them better than they used to, but over time the porcelain will most likely eventually start chipping off. I agree with Mark to avoid harsh methods to prevent scratching the porcelain and accelerating the decline. I occasionally carefully use a Libmann brush, but my preferred choices are a wood scraper that will burn into the shake if your grates or the soft replaceable pads.

I use a Libmann brass-bristle grill brush on my Webers with porcelain-coated CI grates. I've read that Weber says that SS brushes are OK with PCI, but I don't want to potentially accelerate scratching. Always follow up with a wiping with a paper towel dipped in whatever oil (olive/ canola/ vegetable) is handy at the time. It might be my imagination, but I could swear that there is some transfer of the brass onto the grates during scrubbing. Wiping as a final clean seems to effectively clean off any possible transfer.

Not sure about caring for them, just know you don't want to drop them. And if the porcelain does lift, watch out, it's cut you and sometimes break off in the cut. That's no bueno

Back