Poor Man's Burnt Ends

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Any one done this? Came across the recipe the other day using a pot roast rather than doing the whole packer. Really turned out good. Maybe not quite as good as using the point, but really good. Just do a search on (I use Duck Duck Go) for the recipe - poor man's burnt ends. I used the one with only a tablespoon or so of brown sugar. Took about 8 hours. Wrapped at 160. But problem with a small 3 lb roast is that temps are all over the place depending on the location on the roast. Made no difference when the outside portion was 190 and the inside was 160. Just wrapped and took to 200. Good eats!!!!

I did something similar but I used if I remember right a package of stew meat already cubed, smoked it and once it was tender I put it in a pan and sauced them, they were not bad and the wife liked them!

Faux burnt ends have become a favorite at our hous, as well as with our friends. A couple chuck roasts can make enough "burnt ends" for quits a few people. I have had friends request them for whenever we get together or go tailgating!
Tim

Here's a link to a cook I did a few years ago:
Looks like I was praising Eat Barbecue's products back then too!
No, I'm not their sales rep; I just love the stuff!

GF makes spiders with hot dogs. Like we would slice the ends she does the whole dog onto pieces and slices each piece onto nook little calamaris...

I keep buying Chuck Roast to make burnt ends, but end up making a smoked pot roast meal with it instead. I'll have to do this sooner or later.

GF makes spiders with hot dogs. Like we would slice the ends she does the whole dog onto pieces and slices each piece onto nook little calamaris...

Not to take this further off topic, but I sliced some up and boiled them, added them to some refried beans (they curl a little and look like night crawlers in dirt) with sides of lettuce, cheese, etc. for hot dog tacos/fajitas one Halloween dinner. Couldn't get anybody in my family to even try them because of how grossed out they were from the appearance. I call that a Halloween success.

Someday, I'll try burnt ends from brisket but thus far the only meat I've used is a chuck roast. We have no comparison, but we enjoy them!

Back