Polska Wędzoną

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
A super simple Polish sausage that is one of my absolute favorites to make! Only eight ingredients if you include the water......

2270g Pork Butt
1.8% Kosher Salt
.25% Cure #1
.25% Sugar
.2% Black Pepper
.2% Thyme (original recipe calls for Marjoram, I like Thyme better)
.35% Garlic, fresh, fine mince
10% COLD Water

Ground the pork through my 7mm plate. I actually ground up two pork butts, and I made sure to get most of the fat cap from both of them in my sausage mix.
Mixed with the spices and water until my hands hurt (cold) and the mince stuck to my hand when held upside down.
Stuffed into 32/35mm casings (Syracuse Casing Co), then hung to dry for about 90 minutes.

Off they went into my pellet smoker side box @ ~145°.....

1654873138060.jpeg

After three hours of smoke, I dropped them into a 170° water batch for about 10 minutes to get up to finish temp of ~154°. I then dunked them in a cold water bath and set in the fridge overnight, uncovered to dry.

Here they were this am.....

1654873200200.jpeg

1654873207032.jpeg

One of my favorite ways to eat this sausage is sliced cold with some spicy German mustard (I know, German mustard on a Polish sausage?!?!?!) 🤣🤣

From grind to in the fridge drying, this was about a six hour process. Today, I will take the remainder of the pork butts I ground up and make some bulk sausage mixes (Italian, Hot Italian, and Spanish-style Chorizo.)

Rich

Hi Rich, they look GREAT!!!!!

Thanks for the recipe but I don't understand a darn thing. lol

I have Bruce Aidells book "Hot Links and Country Flavors" sausages in American regional cooking. Do you? If so, any recommendations? It is so hard deciding what to make, they all sound soo good. Most of the recipes in my Sausage binder on how to make, are for patties. But, I do have a lot of recipes on what to do with already made sausages. lol

Just checked. How to make link sausages are filed under the type of sausage. (I forgot lol)

Last edited:
It's just a way of giving the ingredients in percentages so that you can make whatever size batch of sausage you want. So, if you used 1000g (roughly 2 lbs) of pork, you would multiply 1000 by each of the spice percentages. Makes it really easy to scale a recipe up or down based on the quantity of meat you wish to use. :)

I don't have that book, Joan. I think I do have an Aidells book somewhere, just not that one, and I don't think I've made anything from it. I'm quite partial to Polish and German sausage recipes, and I get many of my base formulations from meatsandsausages.com (there's a recipe section.)

FWIW, patty sausage (or bulk mix) is something I do all the time. I like to have 1/2 pound bags frozen and ready to use in recipes when I want/need to. Also, my favorite bulk sausage is a sage flavored breakfast sausage from the Rytek Kutas book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing"

R

Thanks Rich.

I was going to post this before I saw your reply.

1654876452002.png
Around $25 new but used for less than $2 on Amazon.

Awesome sausages Rich

for Everyone else, the attached assumes two LBS of Pork Butt (Rich's is 5LBS) what make the attached a little easier is that it's in "tsp" not a percent of meat weight.

Attachments

• Polska kielbasa wedzona.pdf
    657.7 KB · Views: 10
Good fat content, sometimes pork butts don't have much of a fat cap, I always say the more the better for sausage making.

Good fat content, sometimes pork butts don't have much of a fat cap, I always say the more the better for sausage making.
There IS a point where it's too much, but in general, yes, I agree. I almost always have some pork belly strips in the freezer if I feel like I need to bulk up the fat content of a pork butt.

R

A super simple Polish sausage that is one of my absolute favorites to make! Only eight ingredients if you include the water......

2270g Pork Butt
1.8% Kosher Salt
.25% Cure #1
.25% Sugar
.2% Black Pepper
.2% Thyme (original recipe calls for Marjoram, I like Thyme better)
.35% Garlic, fresh, fine mince
10% COLD Water

Ground the pork through my 7mm plate. I actually ground up two pork butts, and I made sure to get most of the fat cap from both of them in my sausage mix.
Mixed with the spices and water until my hands hurt (cold) and the mince stuck to my hand when held upside down.
Stuffed into 32/35mm casings (Syracuse Casing Co), then hung to dry for about 90 minutes.

Off they went into my pellet smoker side box @ ~145°.....

View attachment 52686

After three hours of smoke, I dropped them into a 170° water batch for about 10 minutes to get up to finish temp of ~154°. I then dunked them in a cold water bath and set in the fridge overnight, uncovered to dry.

Here they were this am.....

View attachment 52687

View attachment 52688

One of my favorite ways to eat this sausage is sliced cold with some spicy German mustard (I know, German mustard on a Polish sausage?!?!?!) 🤣🤣

From grind to in the fridge drying, this was about a six hour process. Today, I will take the remainder of the pork butts I ground up and make some bulk sausage mixes (Italian, Hot Italian, and Spanish-style Chorizo.)

Rich
Wow! Those look great.

Those look amazing! I have been getting into making sausages myself. It's fun playing around with grind sizes etc. I have never used Syracuse for casings, but might check them out. I have had really good luck with supplies from Walton's out of Kansas. Check them out. Love their casings.

Back