Please help me decide on my next grill

GarrettB

TVWBB Member
Hey guys!

I’m new here. I’ve read back 2-3 years of threads in this forum and am super-impressed with all of the knowledge here! My current BBQ is on it’s last legs. When I moved into my current home almost 4 years ago the previous owner left their 10-15 year old Fiesta BBQ on the deck. I’ve been using it since then but it is progressively falling apart, although it still works. So I have started looking into getting a new BBQ for myself. The one I really want costs $1000, which is a Weber Genesis II 330 from Costco, but as a frugal person by nature, I am having trouble justifying spending $1000 on a BBQ. I do however have no problem paying a premium price if I am getting good value and the product will last me a long time. I BBQ a few times a week during the spring/summer/fall months, but I’m not a hard-core griller; I mostly grill burgers, hot dogs, chicken and the occasional steak. I see a lot of you are into restoring old Weber’s, but that’s not something I’m interested in. Here are the BBQ’s I am considering:

Weber Genesis II 330 from Costco. Cost is $1000. It comes with 7mm stainless steel grill grates and an extra layer of steel in the BBQ box for added durability and to keep the warmth inside. It also has a more premium stainless steel handle. Other features it has that I may or may not use are a snide burner and a searing station.

Weber Spirit from Home Depot. Cost is $650. No stainless steel grill grates but those can be purchased for an additional $130. Only one layer of steel in the BBQ box, and the handle looks durable, but is plastic. No side burner or searing station.

Other BBQ’s I’m looking at in the $300-600 range are a Broil King Signet 320 and Broil Bing Baron which costs around $580, and Broilmate/Sterling BBQ’s in the $300-400 range.

Now I’ve heard Weber’s quality has gone down in recent years due to them being bought by a private equity firm, so they are no longer the “tanks” they used to be from 10 years ago. Many of their BBQ’s are now made in China. So I would be upset if I paid $1000 and did not get a good 10 years out of it.

So what would you do in this scenario and why? I really, really love the $1000 Weber Genesis, but I would be sad if I spent all that money and it was a disappointment. Should I pony up and get the Genesis? Do the mid range option of the Weber Spirit/Broil King? Or a cheaper $300-400 grill? Very tough decision so I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Garrett: I hate to say this, but you are the perfect candidate for a rehab Silver B or Genesis 1000 grill. I am not saying you have to do the rehabbing, but for probably around $300 you can have a grill that will easily last you 10 years and cook just as good or better as a new Genesis or Spirit. I realize you are in Canada, and that could easily mean you live out in the middle of nowhere, but I would try to find someone near you that refurbishes them and sells them.

Otherwise, I guess I would go with a Spirit (being frugal and all).

Garrett: I hate to say this, but you are the perfect candidate for a rehab Silver B or Genesis 1000 grill. I am not saying you have to do the rehabbing, but for probably around $300 you can have a grill that will easily last you 10 years and cook just as good or better as a new Genesis or Spirit. I realize you are in Canada, and that could easily mean you live out in the middle of nowhere, but I would try to find someone near you that refurbishes them and sells them.

Otherwise, I guess I would go with a Spirit (being frugal and all).
lol funny response re. your perception of Canada! I live in a city with close to a million people. Canada is a big country with lots of metropolitan cities ;) Similar to the US except we get free health care, and almost no gun violence. Having said that, there are almost never used Weber's for sale. If I could find someone who did Weber rehab's, I would be interested though.

Garrett: I didn't want to sound Ignorant about Canada but I guess I did. I have been there several times, but each time was hunting or fishing and pretty much rural. I live in Wisconsin, so not really that much different. But, I do know that you have real cities and streets and cars, computers and all that good stuff. LOL.
But, since you live in a large metro area (Much larger than anything near me), you should be able to find a nearby fellow Canadian that refurbs Webers.

Have you already searched all your local classifieds? There may be a rehaber already trying to sell stuff around you. I'm guessing you have since you mentioned used Weber's almost never come up. But I would imagine someone within 100 or so miles of you is fixing them up. If you're dying grill is still functional for now patients might work out in the end.

A few on these boards really like the Costco option. To me the spirit grills are only so Weber can play in the disposable market. They are better than *insert cheap name here* but not by a lot. At the price point Weber will have skimped in places. Like the grates you mentioned paying extra for on top of the price of the grill. But I understand $1000 can be hard to justify. That's one reason I don't have one also. However, If you go the Costco route and for whatever reason don't like the grill you can return it. And I believe Weber backs that with their 10 year warranty. Personally, I would lean towards the Genesis over the Spirit.

Final thought. The Weber Summit line is too expensive for what they are IMO. If I was going to spend summit kind of money I would be looking beyond Weber.

<snip>... Other BBQ’s I’m looking at in the $300-600 range are a Broil King Signet 320 and Broil Bing Baron which costs around $580,...<snip>
I did not have a got experience with Broil King. Three years ago I bought a Baron from the local home store. I used it 3-4 times a week. Two months ago I disposed of it. The firebox had rusted out. <image>

I did not have a got experience with Broil King. Three years ago I bought a Baron from the local home store. I used it 3-4 times a week. Two months ago I disposed of it. The firebox had rusted out. <image>
That is a nasty picture! It appears you did not do any maintenance or cleaning though.

. Having said that, there are almost never used Weber's for sale. If I could find someone who did Weber rehab's, I would be interested though.
In Ontario Kijiji is full of used Webers - I picked up an S320 in perfect condition (other than a peeling logo and a flaky igniter) for $200.

Why not your country's own? Napoleon
👆 Definitely consider Napoleon.

Question: Will your new grill live in your garage, or will it live year-round in the elements?

Unless you plan to keep it in your garage, I suggest you go for an open cart model. Closed cart Webers have a history of rusting out. And the open carts look nicer.

I love spending other people's money! If I were spending your money and wanted a new Weber, not a rehab, I would get either of these, depending on your needs:

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/...RODUCT&srule=Price+-+Descending&start=1&sz=99
(comes in four colors, though crimson is the best)

or

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/gas-barbecues/genesis-ii-series/61011401.html?cgid=40
(black only)

Both of these models have SS grates and flavorizer bars (both are porcelain on the Spirit II) and the super-tough Genesis one-piece cast aluminum firebox. The Genesis puts out 39,000 BTUs (+9,000 for the sear station option), while the Spirit II is only 30,000 BTUs. I love the sear option but don't care for side burners. But if it were my money, I'd get the crimson CE-330. It will be the last grill you ever need to buy.

Or get the Costco one and take very good care of that cabinet.

Last edited:
👆 Definitely consider Napoleon.

Question: Will your new grill live in your garage, or will it live year-round in the elements?

Unless you plan to keep it in your garage, I suggest you go for an open cart model. Closed cart Webers have a history of rusting out. And the open carts look nicer.

I love spending other people's money! If I were spending your money and wanted a new Weber, not a rehab, I would get either of these, depending on your needs:

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/...RODUCT&srule=Price+-+Descending&start=1&sz=99
(comes in four colors, though crimson is the best)

or

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/gas-barbecues/genesis-ii-series/61011401.html?cgid=40
(black only)
Realistically it'll be on the back patio all winter. And we get some cold winters here. Good advice on the open cart.

The CE-330 in your second link is the exact one I'm looking at for $1000 at Costco.

I'll take my chances in America, thank you. lol
Except for the weather Canada. Though out in the far SW of Canada I could deal with the weather there. But holy smoke talk about expensive. Watching some of the Canadian home shows, houses in Pacific NW are insane. Little 1 or 2 bedroom shacks costing well in excess of $500000! Yikes!

Realistically it'll be on the back patio all winter. And we get some cold winters here. Good advice on the open cart.

The CE-330 in your second link is the exact one I'm looking at for $1000 at Costco.
Good. The $1000 Costco Weber Genesis here in the States is a closed cabinet SS model, thus my comment to take really good care of it. The porcelain enamel is much easier to keep up than the SS stuff and looks better to me anyway. AFAIK, all of the Napoleons are closed cabinets. They come with a longer warranty than Webers, but I haven't read the fine print on what's excluded.

Good. The $1000 Costco Weber Genesis here in the States is a closed cabinet SS model, thus my comment to take really good care of it. The porcelain enamel is much easier to keep up than the SS stuff and looks better to me anyway. AFAIK, all of the Napoleons are closed cabinets. They come with a longer warranty than Webers, but I haven't read the fine print on what's excluded.
My preference is the stainless steel grates. The one I'm looking at Costco has the SS.

Except for the weather Canada. Though out in the far SW of Canada I could deal with the weather there. But holy smoke talk about expensive. Watching some of the Canadian home shows, houses in Pacific NW are insane. Little 1 or 2 bedroom shacks costing well in excess of $500000! Yikes!
Try a million if you're talking about Vancouver.

My preference is the stainless steel grates. The one I'm looking at Costco has the SS.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The stainless steel I was referencing in post #15 was the lid and cabinet doors, not the grates and flavorizer bars. Porcelain enameled lids and cabinet doors are much easier to care for than stainless steel lids and cabinet doors and look better too in my opinion. I recently restored a Genesis 1000 with a red porcelain enamel lid and I love the new SS grates and flavorizer bars I installed.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The stainless steel I was referencing in post #15 was the lid and cabinet doors, not the grates and flavorizer bars. Porcelain enameled lids and cabinet doors are much easier to care for than stainless steel lids and cabinet doors and look better too in my opinion. I recently restored a Genesis 1000 with a red porcelain enamel lid and I love the new SS grates and flavorizer bars I installed.
Thanks for clarifying! I agree, we're on the same page.

Another thing: you said to take very good care of the cabinet. How do you do that exactly?

I like your choice...I think I would like the extra sear burner, though personally I don't use the side burner much.

Found myself also being hesitant spending that much on a new grill. Around here (Northern VA) there is a constant flow of used webers on craiglist etc. Eventually found a 2 year old genesis II for $275. But I see the older ones for even cheaper. Trick is finding them where the body is in great shape as you can easily replace grates/bars etc. Surprised there is not a similar market up there. Around here if someone asks for $350/$400 it might hang around a bit but down at $300 or less they just go.

Back