Pizza sauce.

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
I work with an old pizza maker that have had his own "pizza shack" for 18? years...Dont know if it was 18 or 16 but hey.

This is his pizza sauce recipe:

1 can good crussed tomatoes..dont be cheap on this one couse it changes the whole recipe(like MUTTI quality)
2 tablespoons evoo
1 tablespoon Vegeta
1 clove garlic - fine choped
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon fresh ground(coarse)black pepper
1 teaspoon dry basil(fresh recomended use 3 teaspoons choped)
1 teaspoon dry oregano(fresh recomended use 3 teaspoons choped)

*OPTIONAL*
Add some Cayenne pepper to bring up the heat/or use the hot paprika instead of the sweet one.

Bring to a boil for 3 min. If you want it more firm depending on the canned tomatoes..Drain them in a strainer before making the sauce.

This will give you a perfect pizza sauce(the swedish way) and it can be used in a lasagna with great resaults...Or as simple as a pasta dish sauce!

Looks good but have to say: one anchovy fillet or just a bit of fish sauce takes it over the top.
And no... it doesn't taste fishy at all.
icon_smile.gif

Nice.

Actually, the Vegeta he uses takes the place of onion and anchovy. The concentrate vegs add the sweetness of onion; the MSG adds the umami of anchovy.

To recreate this in the US, where Vegeta is hard to find, one could use a couple tablepoons of minced onion, a couple of grated carrot, and one of minced red bell pepper. An addition of an anchovy, minced or pressed, plus, say, 1/3 t sugar, would likely mimic the Vegeta pretty well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vegeta </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Was wondering about that. have to get some just to try.
While I almost always have a bag of (salted home cured) anchovies in the fridge I have to say I'm finding the fish sauce incredible useful in so many applications.

Back