Pit Masters

Bobby-Blckrhno

To all the Pit Masters out there, I salute you. I’m here in the Bay Area where it’s cold and raining right now. Yes, I know it’s not the some of the other areas of the country where it’s snowing and gets below freezing, but here to us, it’s cold. Anyways, I’m out here trying to get some KC cut ribs and links on my WSM for guests that we having coming by later this evening and this is a challenge. The rain doesn’t care that I’m trying to start a fire and the cold can care less about my fingers being numb.

So…my hat’s off to those that do this year round and laugh in the face of Mother Nature when the elements try to take over. Looks like I’m building a gazebo in the spring. Happy barbecuing.

Strategy change. Load your WSM up with coals and use oiled paper towels under some briqs in the center and light the paper towels up with the grill built and coals atop the oiled paper towels. Open all your vents and let it breathe. It should get to temp for you to cook.

And a pop up tent also works to give you some shelter when working the cooker.

It’s raining all day in Sacramento area. And yeah, it’s cold too. A balmy 48° right now.

To all the Pit Masters out there, I salute you. I’m here in the Bay Area where it’s cold and raining right now. Yes, I know it’s not the some of the other areas of the country where it’s snowing and gets below freezing, but here to us, it’s cold. Anyways, I’m out here trying to get some KC cut ribs and links on my WSM for guests that we having coming by later this evening and this is a challenge. The rain doesn’t care that I’m trying to start a fire and the cold can care less about my fingers being numb.

So…my hat’s off to those that do this year round and laugh in the face of Mother Nature when the elements try to take over. Looks like I’m building a gazebo in the spring. Happy barbecuing.
I grew up on 45th & Irving in S. F. just 5 blocks from the beach. We considered your current temperatures to be T-shirt weather back in the 50s and 60s. In my mid-70s now so would likely have on a light jacket or Pendleton.

I grew up on 45th & Irving in S. F. just 5 blocks from the beach. We considered your current temperatures to be T-shirt weather back in the 50s and 60s. In my mid-70s now so would likely have on a light jacket or Pendleton.
Whenever I venture into the City during the winter, jacket, hat and possibly gloves.

Whenever I venture into the City during the winter, jacket, hat and possibly gloves.

Are you using a charcoal chimney? Works wonders to get a fire started any time of year. Very cheap at Home Depot / Amazon.

And what Brett said about oil, absolutely. On paper towels or junk mail newsprint, in the bottom of the chimney.

Like Brett said, something like a Coleman 10x10 pop-up canopy with one side wall/curtain can make a huge difference. They’re easy to store and transport when closed up too.

31Rhp744KCL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

You can also close it up most of the way if you have snow or a lot of wind in the forecast.

You can probably find An Ozark Trail or other economy version for under $50 used or on clearance.

Back