Physical Differences in EX4 and EX6

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Maybe you're wondering about the difference in the two so I thought I would add this to the database of those who read it. What a lot of people new to the Smokefire don't realize is that most of the parts are interchangeable. I'll list the physical differences and if anyone can add to the list, please do so.
Differences: Cook chamber and lid length is different. Number of main cooking grate sections. EX4 has 2 and EX6 has 3. Top cooking grates are different length. Small flavorizer bars number is different. 4 on the EX4 and 6 on the EX6 therefore the flange that holds the flavorizer bars is a different length. EX4 pellet hopper length is 6 inches shorter. The front panel that the drawer fits in is different length. Caster wheel diameter only is different. Same stem so they're interchangeable. I put my old EX6 casters on the EX4 and saved a few bucks.
That's it. Same engine, transmission, drive train, suspension, computer, and software. Things like legs, fire pot, auger assembly, fans, and motors are interchangeable. All of that info and 5 bucks might get you a small coffee at Starbucks. I haven't been to Starbucks in 30 years so maybe not.
😂
Smoke on and have fun.Smokefire Family.jpg

Good to know that there's so much interchangeability because I bet there's a price difference, and knowing this could save some $'s

Thanks for the info. Makes me want a coffee. Do you notice any differences in how they cook? Guess the 6 uses more fuel. Please don’t repeat yourself if you’ve already posted about it. I’ll browse.

Thanks for the info. Makes me want a coffee. Do you notice any differences in how they cook? Guess the 6 uses more fuel. Please don’t repeat yourself if you’ve already posted about it. I’ll browse.
Sorry that I'm slow responding. All EX4 cooks have been made with the updated software but I haven't cooked on the EX6 since the update. The EX4 runs about 20 degrees cooler in smokeboost and that's great for Beef sticks. Because of the GBS grates in the EX4 it definitely sears best. Cooking at 250 seems to be the same on both grills. The taste of food off both seems to be the same. My impression is that they cook the same and both gobble pellets at high temp. I'm very happy with both grills and don't have a favorite.

Back