Performer table screw nut plate spinning.

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
So I was replacing the screws on my performer bowl and table with stainless steel screws and while putting the screw back in the nut plate came loose and started spinning , this happen any of you? Is there a quick fix short of having it tack welded?

If it’s the table, epoxy would probably be fine. If it’s the bowl? Not so much. Epoxy won’t handle the heat. But, I’m not sure what you are referring to as the nut plate. Picture?

If it’s the table, epoxy would probably be fine. If it’s the bowl? Not so much. Epoxy won’t handle the heat. But, I’m not sure what you are referring to as the nut plate. Picture?
Tim,
When you screw the table down onto the side rails on the performer the screw three into a fixed nut that is installed with a tool like a pop rivet so it was not installed with enough grip and has come loose, I could try to punch it with a center punch to give it some grip, or drill it out then use a longer screw nut and washer all the way through the side rail, or have it tack welded, I do not think epoxy will hold it still long enough.
That is my problem. Sorry I did not explain myself , being a aircraft mechanic nut plates and rivets like this one are comon knowledge and I forget that is not rude for everyone.

Hi I am not a Kettle guy. I would assume Weber uses the same Riv-nuts as on the gas grills where something is attaching to the frame.

Tack weld it in if you can as long as it is not on the porcelain enameled bowl.

Nut and bolt is OK if you have the clearance

If you have Riv-Nuts you could drill it out and go one size up. The Riv-nuts are nice if you have other uses like automotive. If it's just a one-time use it would be too costly.

There are high temp epoxies available. I don't know if they are right for this application.

Kevin, I had the same problem on a Gen 2 a friend brought to me one of the table screws would not back out all the way. I got it backed out enough where it took a piece of the plastic table with it the insert piece if you know what I mean that lined the hole the bolt went thru and got a Sawzall on it then what was left disappeared inside the frame which I need to get out. I am just going to put a longer bolt thru it with a washer.

The Rive -Nut must have stripped it really was a pain to get out.

Kevin, I had the same problem on a Gen 2 a friend brought to me one of the table screws would not back out all the way. I got it backed out enough where it took a piece of the plastic table with it the insert piece if you know what I mean that lined the hole the bolt went thru and got a Sawzall on it then what was left disappeared inside the frame which I need to get out. I am just going to put a longer bolt thru it with a washer.

The Rive -Nut must have stripped it really was a pain to getrivet.

My screw came out and I was replacing it with a stainless steel one but on installation the rivnut came loose and started to spin .
I think the simplest thing to do is just drill it out and install a longer screw and nut washer.
Thanks for all the replies.
Merry Christmas.

Back